Swimming, basketball shootarounds, racquetball and squash, personal training and private Pilates, and more are now available for West Side YMCA members. Learn more about available activities, and download the YMCA of Greater New York mobile app to stay updated.
- Lap Swim and Family Swim
- Swim Lessons
- Adult Basketball
- Racquetball and Squash
- Personal Training and Private Pilates
- Teen Access
- Family Gym
Know Before You Go
- Add your membership barcode to your mobile app for a contactless check in when you arrive at the facility
- Note our new hours
- Mon-Thur: 6:30 AM-8:30 PM
Closed 1-2 PM for cleaning
- Fri: Closed
- Sat-Sun: 8 AM-3 PM
- Mon-Thur: 6:30 AM-8:30 PM
- Read more about what you need to bring, and the Y's new health protocols in this reopening guide >
Lap Swim and Family Swim
Aquatics Activities offered at the YMCA
We offer a variety of aquatics programming. Please see below for a list of what is currently available.
Lap Swim: Lap swim is designed for more organized swimming up and down the length of the pool repeatedly.
Family Swim: Family Swim is available for households to swim together as a group in a defined space in the Small Pool. Households must be people who live together and are on a family membership. Up to 4 people attending per family. No individual/adult swimming allowed.
Adult Recreational Swim: Recreational Swim gives adults the opportunity to practice different swim techniques, water exercise or just relax in the pool. No lap swim during Adult Rec. (Shallow end is up to 4 feet deep and the deep end is up to 8 feet deep).
Large Pool Stats
Temperature is maintained at 81 degrees or lower
25 yards long
70 lengths (35 laps) = 1 Mile
Small Pool Stats
Temperature is maintained at 88 degrees or higher
20 yards long
88 lengths (44 laps) = 1 Mile
What to Bring
- A mask. You'll need to wear it anytime you aren't in the water. Per state guidelines, bandanas, buffs, and gaiters are not acceptable face coverings.
- Your own towel and swim cap. Towels, swim caps, and other swim gear is not available at this time. Please bring everything you need to enjoy your swim.
New Health Protocols
- Showers: Please allow shower usage for swimmers.
- Reduced Capacity: Per state guidelines, our pools are operating at 33% capacity. This means reservations are required. For adult lap swim, only one person will be allowed in each lane per reservation; for family swim, a limited number of people will be allowed per reservation.
- Locker Room Updates: Locker rooms are open for changing but the steam room and sauna are still closed. Per state guidelines, hair dryers are not available, and please don't bring your own.
- How to Make a Reservation: Download the Y's new mobile app and activate your account to make swim reservations. From your app's homescreen, tap "Classes & Reservations." Check the schedule, find a time that works for you, and tap the "Join" button to reserve your spot. You will receive a confirmation email at the email address on file.
- Reserve on a Computer: If you cannot download our mobile app on a phone, and want to be able to reserve on a computer, please contact us and we will help you set up an account.
- Once you have an account set up, visit the west-side-ymca.virtuagym.com that the branch staff gave you on the computer and log in with the username and password you were set up with.
- Click on "Schedule" in the left navigation, find the type of schedule you're looking for at the top of the page, click to open it, and then choose a time that works for you.
- Click on the "Book Now" button to reserve your spot. You will receive a confirmation email at the email address on file.
- Availability: You can reserve your spot up to 48 hours in advance. There is a cap on the number of reservations a member can make per day. Please consult the app for more info.
Lap Swim Policies
- Reservations are required for a lap swim session. There is a cap on the number of reservations a member can make per day. Please consult the app for more info.
- Please cancel swim reservations at least 4 hours in advance in order for another member to utilize the session. Members who cancel in less than 4 hours or do not show for their reservation will have their access to reservations limited.
- Please arrive at the lap swim check-in area no more than 5 minutes prior to your assigned swim time. You will be assigned a lane at check-in. Members arriving 15 minutes past the start of the session will forfeit their lane.
- The duration of your swim reservation includes entering and exiting the pool. Please exit the pool swiftly when advised by the lifeguard, take your belongings, and move toward the pool exit.
Family Swim Policies
- Reservations are required and all participants must be on the same family membership.
- Reservations open 48 hours in advance, and there is a cap on the number of individuals per reservation. Please consult the app for more info.
- Locker rooms are available for showering and changing. Use locker to store personal items and remember your lock.
- Please bring your own towel, swim cap, and filled water bottle.
- Please wear your mask at all times except when you are showering or swimming. Hooks will be available outside the shower and on the pool deck to hang your mask.
- Please arrive at the check-in area no more than 5 minutes prior to your assigned swim time. You will be assigned a spot at check-in.
- Enter the pool area and follow the deck markings to your spot.
- Please practice social distancing and wear a face mask until entering the pool and upon exiting the pool.
- Family Swim sessions are 45 minutes, including entering and exiting the pool. Please exit the pool swiftly when advised by the lifeguard, take your belongings, and move toward the pool exit.
- Noodles and lifejackets will be available, please request when checking in at pool.
Swim Lessons: Both Private and Group Swim Lessons are available now!
Private Lessons: 1:1 Instructor to Student Ratio
Parent/Child Classes: 1:4 Instructor to Parent/Child Ratio
Pre-School (3-5 years old): 1:3 Instructor to Child Ratio
School Age (5-12 years old): 1:4 Instructor to Child Ratio
Swim Lesson Procedures
We are excited that you have made this important step in your child’s development of water safety! Thank you for choosing the Y to be the place for them to learn, grow and thrive in the water. To ensure that your experience exceeds your expectations, we have a few tips to guide you through our department. Please note that there are several changes in our process to ensure we are following all safety procedures and guidelines.
- Give yourself 15-30 minutes prior to your class.
- Only one adult per child may enter the facility per child.
- Stop at the security desk—Please be prepared to have your temperatures taken and answer Health Declaration questions.
- Scan your program or membership card. If you do not have a program card please give yourself enough time to stop at our membership desk to obtain one.
- Park all strollers and scooters by our 64th street entrance.
- Families may use our Family Locker Room on the second floor.
- Once changed and ready for your class, please wait on the second floor waiting area located outside of the family locker room. Your instructor will come to this area to check your child in.
- Parents must wait in this area for the duration of the child’s class.
Adults can enjoy basketball shoot around on the court any time the Y is open! Games are not permitted at this time and there's a limit of two people per hoop. Please bring your own ball. First come, first serve — no reservation necessary.
Racquetball and Squash
- Mon-Thu: 7:00 AM-7:45 PM
Last reservation at 7 PM
- Sat-Sun: 8:00 AM-2:45 PM
Last reservation at 2 PM
Welcome back to the 6th floor courts! Download the Y's mobile app and create an account to reserve a 45 minute slot on the courts to play racquetball or squash. Please bring your own equipment.
Personal Training and Private Pilates
Work out with a certified YMCA trainer who prioritizes your health and well-being while helping you achieve your fitness goals. Contact Jonathan to get started, or pick up where you left off.
Teen Access (Ages 12+)
Teen Members or Teen on a Family Membership
You can come during the Teen Fitness Center hours:
- Mon-Thu: 3 PM-8 PM
- Sat-Sun: 8 AM-3 PM
Teen on a Family Membership
You can also come anytime the Y is open, as long as you are with an adult from your family membership.
All teens ages 12 through 17 are required to complete a fitness equipment orientation before using the fitness equipment. Contact Jonathan to make an appointment.
Sat, 11 AM-3 PM
Enjoy time in the gym as a family! To prioritize your family's health and well-being, space is limited. First come, first served — no reservation required.