The Y operates New Americans Welcome Centers across the five boroughs to support newcomers and immigrants. Our centers are a safe haven for immigrants looking for support and services.
New Americans Welcome Centers
Our New Americans Initiative provides classes, workshops, and services at the following YMCA branches:
We offer free classes in:
- Conversational English and ESL
- Computer literacy
- Citizenship preparation
- Workforce development in the healthcare industry
- Free home health aide training and certification program
- Adult basic education and high school equivalency preparation classes
- Employment support and coaching
Contact one of our centers to learn about class offerings and upcoming workshops.
For more than 100 years, New York City's YMCA has embraced New Americans, beginning with our settlement projects on Ellis Island in 1909 to the present. Our New Americans Initiative is a safe haven for immigrants looking for support and services. We never turn anyone away—or inquire about immigration status.
From English language classes to cultural integration and citizenship preparation courses, the services our centers offer help immigrants reach their goals and integrate into American society, while contributing their skills and values to New York City communities. Immigrants recognize what the Y represents around the world—opportunity, community, and social services for all.
While the city is ever-changing, what remains constant is the Y's commitment to being a steadfast anchor for immigrants seeking to fulfill their American dreams. Today the YMCA remains unwavering in this work.
- 6 New Americans Welcome Centers in New York City
- In 2017, 96 of our NAI participants achieved citizenship
- 5,000+ immigrants and their families supported annually
- 99 countries from which new Americans have immigrated
Our work on behalf of new immigrants depend on the generosity of our supporters. Donate today to help immigrants fulfill their American dreams.