5 Tips for Achieving Your New Year’s Goals
It’s the time of year for New Year’s resolutions. Throughout the year, we tend to get so overwhelmed with the responsibilities and busyness of everyday life that exercise plans can get pushed to the wayside. Some of us simply don’t know where to start.
The YMCA is here to help you find your way to health and wellness in 2019! Here are some tips from YMCA personal trainer Melissa Ricci to help you jumpstart your goals in the New Year.
- Start with small, realistic, achievable goals. Whether that’s losing 10 pounds or working out once a week, small goals are easier to stick to. If you want to lost weight, start by looking at your eating habits. Nutrition is just as important as exercise. Then evaluate your fitness routine. The key is finding an exercise, class, or program that works for you and your schedule.
- Ask for help. Trainers and fitness staff are here for you. We are happy to give you a tour, show you how to use the equipment, and recommend exercises. When you know what to do at the gym, you’ll be better equipped to achieve your goals. The Y also has several free services, including our new free weight loss program.
- Use the buddy system. A walk on the treadmill will go much quicker if you have someone to talk to, cheer you on, and hold you accountable. Plus, studies show working out with friends actually increases how much we exercise.
- Change up your routine. Once you’ve established a routine, it’s important to mix it up. Researchers at the University of Florida found adding variety makes exercisers more likely to stick with their fitness regimen. So try something new and fun to keep things interesting.
- Be flexible! You may do great, and then not so great. And that’s okay! It’s NOT all or nothing. It takes time, but you’ll get there.
Where there’s a Y, there’s a way for everyone to achieve their goals and reach their full potential in 2019.