You’re one click away from starting your journey to become a lifeguard!
The YMCA’s nationally-recognized Lifeguard Certification program prepares you for one of the most highly demanded jobs in the country. Want to sign up for our next certification course? Your first step is to register for a pre-test below!
We regularly schedule pre-tests to confirm your swim ability meets the standard for the Lifeguard Certification Course. Click the link below to register for your pre-test.
|Bed-Stuy||2:00 - 3:00 PM|
|North Brooklyn||4:00 - 6:00 PM|
|Cross Island||7:00 - 8:00 PM||1:00 - 2:00 PM|
|12:00 - 12:30 PM|
|Rockaway||3:00 - 4:00 PM||3:00 - 5:00 PM||2:00 - 3:00 PM||11:00AM - 1:00PM|
|McBurney||12:00 - 2:00 PM|
|Vanderbilt||10:00 AM - 12:00 PM|
|West Side||3:00 - 4:00 PM||3:00 - 4:00 PM||3:00 - 4:00 PM|
|Broadway||3:30 - 4:30 PM||3:30 - 4:30 PM|
|South Shore*||8:30 - 9:30 PM||2:30 - 3:30 PM|
|Castle Hill||3:00 - 5:00 PM||3:00 - 5:00 PM|
*Excludes: 8/1, 8/2
Note: To qualify for the Fall I Course (September 5th - October 30th), you must pass your pre-test by August 20th.
Note: To Qualify for the Fall II Course (October 31st - December 24th), you must pass your pre-test by October 15th.
Note: To qualify for the December Break Week Course (December 26th - 30th), you must pass your pre-test by December 10th.
You will need to bring a swimsuit, a swim cap, and a towel to the pretest. Goggles are optional.
What does the Pre-Test Involve?
1. Tread water for 2 minutes - use legs only.
2. Swim 100 yards of front crawl.
3. Swim 50 yards of each:
- Elementary backstroke
4. Complete feet-first surface dive and 15 feet underwater swim.
5. Perform 60-foot sprint, then surface dive to retrieve object at the bottom of pool and hold at surface treading for 1 minute.
6. Pick up an object from the bottom of pool, surface and tread water for 1 minute with legs only, then replace the object on the bottom of the pool where it was found.
7. Swim the remaining length to end of pool, and hoist yourself out of water.
8. Perform compressions on an adult manikin and follow directions of the instructor.
After you successfully pass the pre-test, you may participate in our free Lifeguard Certification Course. Below are upcoming courses in New York City. Note: You do not need to take your pre-test in the same location you plan to take the certification course.
Fall I Session
|In-Person Class Location||Borough||Dates||Times|
|West Side (Wed)||Manhattan||Sept, 7, 14, 21, 28, Oct 5, 12, 19, 26||10:00-3:00pm|
|Cross Island (Sat)||Queens||Sept 10, 17, 24, Oct 1, 8, 15, 22, 29||1:00-6:00pm|
|Castle Hill (Wed & Fri)||Bronx||Sept 7, 9, 14, 16, 21, 23, 28, 30, Oct 5, 7, 12, 14, 19, 21, 26, 28||4:30-7:30pm|
|South Shore (Tues)||Staten Island||Sept 6, 13, 20, 27, Oct 4, 11, 18, 25||4:00-9:00pm|
Lifeguard Certification Course Description
- Basic Life Support
- Basic First Aid
- Oxygen administration
- Y Lifeguard Classroom
- Pool/Water Skills Time
- eLearning Time
- Course Hours
Introductory e-Learning: 9 hours
Classroom Learning: 13 hours
Water/Pool Skills: 15 hours
Total Time: 37 hours
- Must attend all sessions. Any lateness exceeding 15 minutes is counted as not attending. Each component has a physical skill and written exam. Completion of the physical skills is mandatory to take the written exam. Passing grade is 80% for written exams.