Child Watch Aide
Salary: $17.00 - $19.00 P/H
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The West Side YMCA is seeking an Child Watch Aide who will be responsible for maintaining a safe, structured, fun and value-based program for child watch participants, ages 6 months to 7 years old.
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of children in the program by providing close supervision of all activities.
- Provide a safe, fun, and inviting environment for participants in child watch areas.
- Supervise program participants and administer recreational activities for children and address any issues that may arise with parents.
- Effectively develop and implement age-appropriate lesson plans daily.
- Work cooperatively with professional staff, coworkers, and other departments.
- Process new child watch applications, and orientations.
- Maintain accurate emergency medical information, attendance, and sign in records.
- Maintain knowledge of all YMCA programs and services to assist members in selection of services that meet their individual needs.
- Communicate with families on a daily basis about their children’s strengths and areas needing attention.
- Obtain shift coverage when unable to report to work.
- Actively participate in all training sessions, meetings, and special events.
- Other activities and duties as needed that address the ongoing health and well-being of our staff and members.
- Follow and maintain sanitary habits in accordance with CDC guidelines.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent; college coursework in Early Childhood Education, Elementary Education or related field preferred.
- Minimum of two years of experience working in child care.
- Current First Aid/CPR/AED certification.
- Excellent hospitality and communications skills.
- Must be willing to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends. Shifts: Tuesdays 4pm-8pm, Thursdays 9:45am-12:45pm, Saturdays 9am-1pm
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
How to Apply:
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please complete our online application and submit your résumé and a thoughtful cover letter that explains your interest in the role and our organization.
If you are a current YMCA employee, please submit your application through the Internal Career Site in Cornerstone.
** New Requirement**
All potential YMCA of Greater New York employees are required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination. Please use the “Additional Attachment” section on the online application to upload your proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities