SALARY: $23.64 P/H
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The West Side YMCA is seeking a dependable, self-motivated Theater Technician with a flexible, “can-do” attitude that possesses multiple skills in technical theater for part-time/on-call employment as needed by the organization. The Theater Technician must be able to work with both in-house and outside rental creative and production teams, assist directors and stage managers. The incumbent will help facilitate technical preparation, load-in, load-out, operate/program light and sound boards, Qlab and assist with all other technical operations and maintenance support of all events.
- Operate, maintain and safeguard the technical assets of the theatre, including supervising the use of lighting, sound, communications equipment, and the use and maintenance of stage facilities.
- Execute lighting and sound designs, set-up, maintain, and operate lighting and sound systems for theatre, dance, music, and other productions and projects.
- Assists guest designers, Community Arts Design and Production staff, and artists with technical matters.
- Enforce contracted usage of technical equipment for outside renters and supervise the implementations of approved technical designs.
- Assist with set and stage construction, simple rigging, maintenance of arts spaces and storage, load-in, strike, and production management.
- Assist in training and assignment of volunteer, student or paid technical staff, for individual shows.
- Assist facility renters and visiting productions with safety, technical characteristics and other areas of facility operations.
- Monitor the condition of equipment including lighting, sound, and rigging equipment; report any necessary repairs to theater director; perform preventive maintenance on equipment.
- Adhere to all YMCA youth policies and program standards.
- Observe the YMCA Code of Conduct and Core Values.
- Actively participate in designated meetings, training sessions and special events.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Theater Tech or Production or 3 years undergraduate study.
- Minimum two years of professional theater experience as a technician.
- Experience with theater management, theater safety and fire codes required.
- Knowledge of theater industry technology and equipment.
- Additional knowledge of video, technology, and design a plus.
- Knowledge of ETC Ion, Yamaha LS9, Qlab, Power Point/Keynote.
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
How to Apply:
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please forward your cover letter and resume with subject line “Theater Technician” to email@example.com or to:West Side YMCA
Attn: Michael Catalan
5 West 63rd Street
New York, NY 10023
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities