Salary: $22.00 - $25.00 P/H
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The West Side YMCA is seeking a Theater Technician. A reliable, organized incumbent with a flexible, "can-do" attitude and a familiarity with all aspects of theater and film production and stage management for part-time, occasional employment as needed by organization. Candidate must be able to work with a creative team, assist director and stage manager, oversee strike and load in, help construct sets/ set pieces, run technical rehearsals, light or sound boards and oversee all technical operations in the theater.
- Oversee load-in and strike for rentals and in-house performances.
- Facilitate production meetings with potential vendors and clients.
- Provide recommendations for theater safety and functionality.
- Ensure theater remains in pristine condition and safety codes are observed.
- Undertake small set builds and oversee sets being put up for productions.
- Troubleshoot as needed during the run of shows.
- Maintain inventory of equipment and notify supervisor of purchasing needs.
- Upkeep and cleaning of equipment and theater spaces.
- Must be able to run basic sound and/or lights.
- Must have a knowledge of the following: Automated lights, sound board, microphones, lavalieres, projection and various other sound equipment. Light boards, hanging and focusing lights, operating house dimming equipment, cutting and placing gels, various other lighting needs and responsibilities. Q-Lab. Carpentry, painting and various other set construction skills. Should be able to work with scenic designers in the drafting, execution and building of sets.
- Experience working with outside vendors regarding rentals.
- Assist as Run Crew for in-house and rentals and needed.
- Ability to work with buildings & properties staff and building security.
- Other activities and duties that address the ongoing health and well-being of our staff and members.
- Follow and maintain sanitary habits in accordance with CDC guidelines.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in in Theater Tech or Production or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of two (2) years in the professional theater experience as technician.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
How to apply?
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please complete our online application and submit your résumé and a thoughtful cover letter that explains your interest in the role and our organization.
If you are a current YMCA employee, please submit your application through the Internal Career Site in Cornerstone.
** New Requirement**
All potential YMCA of Greater New York employees are required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination. Please use the “Additional Attachment” section on the online application to upload your proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities