Two new state-of-the-art YMCAs will serve youth, families, and seniors in the Bronx
The YMCA of Greater New York is proud to announce the development of two new Ys in the Bronx, dramatically expanding our capacity to serve New Yorkers for years to come.
The Y has long sought to grow in the Bronx. Now, in collaboration with the Bronx community, local leaders, and elected officials, we will create two vibrant new branches to help residents achieve their full potential with the Y’s signature programs that empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community.
The La Central YMCA in the South Bronx and the Northeast Bronx YMCA, to be completed in 2021, will serve tens of thousands of residents each year, create new jobs, and add recreational and learning spaces to the neighborhood, fostering community engagement for the young, the old, and everyone in between.
Northeast Bronx YMCA
1250 East 229th Street
Set in a three-acre urban forest, the Northeast Bronx YMCA will meld the indoor and the outdoor in order to connect members to the natural environment. The environmentally friendly, standalone facility will include an urban agricultural roof and a teaching kitchen, as well as protected outdoor play and program space for enhanced camp and afterschool programs. Marvel Architects designed the unique project.
La Central YMCA
430 Westchester Avenue
Located in the center of the rapidly growing South Bronx, the new 50,000-square-foot YMCA will anchor the La Central mixed-use development project. La Central will include retail, community, and outdoor recreation space, as well as thousands of new mixed-income housing units, all within steps of multiple subway and bus lines. FXCollaborative, formerly FXFOWLE Architects, designed the project.
Activities for All Ages
The La Central and Northeast Bronx YMCAs will include:
- Key programs, including Y Afterschool, fitness, leadership, and civic engagement programming for youth
- Aquatics centers for safety around water classes, family recreation, and swim instruction
- Social, recreational, and health programming for older adults
- Fitness and wellness centers
- Gymnasiums with basketball courts
- Accessible recreational areas that promote community and belonging
Support our Campaign
New York City’s YMCA officially kicked off its Bronx campaign at the 44th Annual Dodge Award Dinner in June 2018, honoring Michael Bloomberg and Sandie O’Connor. The Y is making a $100 million investment in the Bronx with these two new facilities—and we’re raising $25 million from private donors.
Contact Patti Davis to help us strengthen the Bronx by donating today, and for information on naming opportunities at the new YMCAs.
- Mayor de Blasio, Speaker Heastie & Public Officials Break Ground on New YMCA in the Northeast Bronx
- Officials break ground on Edenwald YMCA
- Edenwald YMCA Community and Wellness Facility Completes City’s Public Approval Process
- Community Leaders Break Ground on La Central
- The Bronx is Booming with Development
- Ground Broken on $300M Development in the Hub
- Marvel Architects Reveals Design for Edenwald YMCA in the Bronx
- Edenwald YMCA Proposal Reaches BP Diaz’s Desk
- Marvel's YMCA Brings a Balance with Nature to the Northeast Bronx
- Edenwald YMCA Community and Recreational Facility Kicks-off Public Approval
- City Taps Marvel Architects to Design Bronx YMCA
- Why Investors are Flocking to Concourse and Melrose in the Bronx
- Development Takes $335 Million Step Forward
- Hudson Companies Scores $335M in Loans for Bronx Megaproject
- New Look at Bronx’s La Central Affordable Housing Complex as it Nears Phase Two
- La Central Developers Secure $335 Million Financing Deal
- Mayor de Blasio, Speaker Heastie Announce State- of-the-Art Recreational Facility Coming to Edenwald