Camp is an important part of every child’s summer, and the Y has a long history of offering the highest quality camps in New York City. We are now using that expertise and experience to create fun, engaging, and educational virtual camps for children of all ages. Our campers will meet in small groups to create fun projects, build new skills, make new friends, sing fun camp songs, and stay engaged all summer long.
Virtual Camp Objectives
Although Virtual Camp is new, the Y are camp experts and we got this! We know what makes a great camp and this summer’s Virtual Camps will include all the necessary elements.
- A positive camp experience, in a safe and accepting environment, where campers can learn new skills and have a fun and engaging summer.
- An opportunity for campers to connect and build meaningful relationships while participating in camp from home.
- Staff who are well trained and serve as positive role models for children.
- Experiences which develop self-confidence, self-esteem and leadership skills through well planned and enjoyable activities and games.
- Helping campers to develop an appreciation for cultural diversity through exposure to a wide range of children and staff members and through activities which introduce campers to the uniqueness of various cultural groups.
- An atmosphere of acceptance and approval of the unique talents of each child and to encourage them to feel free to be creative and expressive.
- An encouraging environment that allows our children to explore new activities by exposing them to new, age-appropriate, challenging, and fun experiences.
- An emphasis on the importance of fairness, teamwork, and cooperation.
- Developing a lifelong love of healthy habits.
- The YMCA Four Core Values: Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility.
Instructor Code of Conduct
Our virtual camp staff are all year-round employees at the Y and have a wealth of camp and youth development expertise. Daily, our staff promise to teach classes professionally: be prepared, begin on-time, and treat all learners with respect.
- Adhere to the camp schedule.
- Respond in a timely manner to caregiver/guardian questions.
- Communicate with the caregiver/guardian in a professional manner. Instructors will never contact participants outside of activity times. If an instructor needs to contact a family, they will reach out to the caregiver listed in their application.
- Create a safe and welcoming space for learners and families from all backgrounds, beliefs, and locations.
- Bring the camp spirit and energy to all activities!
Family Code of Conduct
We ask our virtual camp families to also come prepared for the best summer ever by doing the following:
- Ensure your child(ren) is prepared for virtual camp: provide a mini tutorial on how to use the online learning platform (Zoom), charge and set-up the device and gather materials.
- Designate an appropriate and comfortable learning space in your home with a neutral background for online video sessions, where the details of your home and your family members do not appear on camera.
- Maintain open communication with the YMCA staff about your child’s performance and progress in program.
- Communicate with YMCA staff in a professional manner; review the Virtual Camp FAQs posted on our website.
- Communicate with the Y if your child needs extra support or if you have any questions or concerns.
- Ensure that the private login information is not shared with others.
- Review the camper code of conduct with your child.
Camper Code of Conduct
It is the goal of the Y to provide a healthy, safe, secure environment for all camp participants. The Y teaches the core values of honesty, caring, respect, and responsibility. Children who attend camp are expected to follow the Code of Conduct below and to interact appropriately in a group setting. These expectations will be discussed with the children on their first day of camp and will be reviewed as appropriate. Please review the expectations below with your child.
The expectations of YMCA Virtual Camp are:
- Be prepared for all virtual camp activities: be on time, bathroom and snack breaks are completed prior to the activity, be dressed in comfortable clothing that is respectful for all campers and instructors, device fully charged and ready to learn!
- We are all responsible for our actions and for our own learning. In order to have the best online experience we ask that all campers fully participate, stay engaged and on topic, minimize any distractions and ask when help is needed.
- We respect each other and our online community.
- Honesty will be the basis for all relationships and interactions.
- We will care for ourselves and those around us. Please keep all personal information private and do not ask others to share.
- No use of bullying, bad language or name-calling will be tolerated. It is very important for our online camp community to be safe and welcoming for all.
- Treat others as you would like to be treated.
- Listening and paying attention are required for a safe and fun camp.
- If an issue persists or it is disruptive to the positive learning community, campers may run the risk of being removed from the program.
- HAVE FUN!
- To provide a high-quality enriching activities that are fun and engaging.
- To welcome all people and create a safe space that honors diversity and inclusion.
- Listen to our families and community; we encourage feedback and open communication. We are always looking to better serve our families.
- Follow our code of conduct to ensure the best environment for all.
Find a Virtual Camp
Choose from dance camp, art camp, LEGO camp, language camps, and much more.