Group Exercise Instructor
SALARY: $35.00 P/H
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Castle Hill YMCA YMCA is seeking Group Exercise Instructors to design and deliver safe, fun, dynamic and effective group exercise classes, while also providing outstanding hospitality to ensure a positive user experience.
We are currently hiring for Instructors in the following areas: aqua aerobics, spinning, strength training.
- Provide outstanding hospitality to all members and guests.
- Arrive prior to class start time to allow time to greet all participants and help acclimate new participants.
- Responsible for participant safety – inspect floor, equipment, and supplies; notify supervisor of equipment in need of repair and / or need for more / updated equipment.
- Provide members with opportunities that will increase their involvement, sense of belonging, and ownership of the YMCA.
- Modify classes and routines according to participants’ fitness levels / abilities, as needed.
- Maintain awareness of current fitness programs and trends.
- Maintain attendance records.
- Maintain required certifications.
- Plan and provide appropriate and motivating music for classes.
- Support community and promotional special events as needed.
- Have a thorough knowledge of branch emergency procedures and take appropriate action for emergency situations.
- Actively participate in training sessions and designated meetings.
- Other activities and duties as needed that address the ongoing health and well-being of our staff and members.
- Follow and maintain sanitary habits in accordance with CDC guidelines.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- High School diploma or equivalent required.
- Experience leading fitness classes.
- Ability to relate to and work with people of diverse backgrounds.
- Current CPR / AED certifications.
- Current National Group Exercise certifications (ACE, ACSM, AFAA, or YMCA).
- Excellent customer service and hospitality skills.
- Must be available to work flexible hours including mornings, afternoons, evenings and/or weekends.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
The YMCA of Greater New York offers a variety of benefits to its staff members including retirement benefits, medical, paid-time off, free YMCA membership and more! Benefit eligibility is determined by an individual’s employment status (ie. full-time or part-time), tenure and/or the number of hours scheduled to work. Click here for more information.
How to Apply:
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please complete our online application and submit your résumé and a thoughtful cover letter that explains your interest in the role and our organization.
If you are a current YMCA employee, please submit your application through the Internal Career Site in Cornerstone.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities