Group Exercise Instructor
Salary: $40.00 - $55.00 P/H
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Prospect Park YMCA is seeking a qualified Group Exercise Instructor who will design and deliver safe, fun, dynamic and effective group exercise classes, while also providing outstanding hospitality to ensure a positive user experience.
The Prospect Park YMCA is seeking certified individuals to conduct safe, fun, dynamic and effective group exercise classes in:
- Cardio Kickboxing
- Baby and Me Yoga
- Youth Ballet
- Total Body Conditioning
- Provide outstanding hospitality to all members and guest, initiating a professional relationship with the members in regards to their needs, concerns, and questions and acting as an agent to accommodate the member’s needs / concerns.
- Arrive prior to class start time to allow time to greet all participants and help acclimate new participants.
- Responsible for participant safety – inspect floor, equipment, and supplies; notify supervisor of equipment in need of repair and / or need for more / updated equipment.
- Provide members with opportunities that will increase their involvement, sense of belonging, and ownership of the YMCA.
- Modify classes and routines according to participants’ fitness levels / abilities, as needed.
- Maintain awareness of current fitness programs and trends.
- Maintain attendance records.
- Maintain required certifications.
- Plan and provide appropriate and motivating music for classes.
- Support community and promotional special events as needed.
- Have a thorough knowledge of branch emergency procedures and take appropriate action for emergency situations.
- Actively participate in training sessions and designated meetings.
- Other activities and duties as needed that address the ongoing health and well-being of our staff and members.
- Follow and maintain sanitary habits in accordance with CDC guidelines.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- High School diploma or equivalent required.
- Experience leading fitness classes.
- Ability to relate to and work with people of diverse backgrounds.
- Current CPR / AED certifications.
- Current National Group Exercise certifications (ACE, ACSM, AFAA, or YMCA).
- Excellent customer service and hospitality skills.
- Must be available to work flexible hours including daytimes, afternoons and/or weekends.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with an organizational culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
How to Apply:
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please complete our online application and submit your résumé and a thoughtful cover letter that explains your interest in the role and our organization.
If you are a current YMCA employee, please submit your application through the Internal Career Site in Cornerstone.
** New Requirement**
All potential YMCA of Greater New York employees are required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination. Please use the “Additional Attachment” section on the online application to upload your proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities