The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Coney Island YMCA is seeking a Gym Monitor who will be responsible to oversee the successful operation of sports, games and or activities in the gymnasium. The Gym Monitor will provide a high degree of member service through a professional relationship with participating members along with ensuring a positive and safe user experience.
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of participants in the program, by providing close supervision of all activities, and ensuring spaces are clean and supplies are well maintained.
- Provide a positive experience to all members and guests.
- Screen the entrance of gymnasium; ensure that access is granted to the correct individuals.
- Monitor gymnasium to ensure compliance with YMCA policies and procedures.
- Provide orientation and instruction on proper usage of sports equipment to members and guests.
- Understand the basic sports principles and be aware of current sports programs and trends.
- Assist members in sports programming and open play; Monitor games and free play.
- Operate score board / Keep score of games taking place.
- Provide members with opportunities that will increase their involvement, sense of belonging, and ownership of the YMCA.
- Perform equipment inspections and report results to supervisor.
- Maintain cleanliness and order in the gymnasium.
- Maintain sign in sheets during the sports games.
- Complete incident reports within 24 hours.
- Have a thorough knowledge of branch emergency procedures and take appropriate action for emergency situations.
- Actively participate in training sessions, designated meetings, and special events, as appropriate.
- Other activities and duties as needed that address the ongoing health and well-being of our staff and members.
- Follow and maintain sanitary habits in accordance with CDC guidelines.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Experience working in sports environment
- Current CPR / First Aid certifications.
- Excellent customer service skills.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
How to Apply:
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please complete our online application and submit your résumé and a thoughtful cover letter that explains your interest in the role and our organization.
If you are a current YMCA employee, please submit your application through the Internal Career Site in Cornerstone.
** New Requirement**
All potential YMCA of Greater New York employees are required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination. Please use the “Additional Attachment” section on the online application to upload your proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities