Lap swim and family swim, basketball shootarounds, racquetball/handball, and personal training are now available for McBurney Y members. Check out our gym schedules, learn more about available activities, and download the YMCA of Greater New York mobile app to stay updated.
Know Before You Go
- Add your membership barcode to your mobile app for a contactless check in when you arrive at the facility
- Note our new hours
- Mon-Thur: 6:30 AM-8:30 PM
Closed 1-2 PM for cleaning
- Fri: Closed
- Sat-Sun: 8 AM-3 PM
- Mon-Thur: 6:30 AM-8:30 PM
- Read more about what you need to bring, and the Y's new health protocols in this reopening guide >
We've heard your feedback and starting Saturday, October 10, the McBurney YMCA pool will have a new layout, more lap lanes and swim times, and additional health protocols.
New Lanes Available
There will be 10 lap lanes and 1 multi-purpose lane available for 30 minute sessions. Each lane will be 17 yards instead of our usual 25 yards. Want to see how that impacts your swim distance? See the chart below.
The multi-purpose lane is located in the shallow end of the pool and divided into 6x10 foot blocks for individual water jogging and individual water exercise.
30 Minute Reservations
In order to serve as many swimmers as possible, swim reservations will now be 30 minutes. This will add 11 additional swim times each day! Please download the app to make your reservation. Details on making reservations are below.
We're continuing to follow city and state guidelines, and you'll see more staff on deck and in the locker room for continuous cleaning and ensuring protocols are followed.
Distances with 17 Yard Lanes:
100 yards 6 laps
200 yards 12 laps
500 yards 29 laps
1/2 mile or 880 yards 52 laps
1000 yards 59 laps
1 mile or 1760 yards 104 laps
What to Bring
- A mask. You'll need to wear it anytime you aren't in the water. Per state guidelines, bandanas, buffs, and gaiters are not acceptable face coverings.
- A towel and swim cap. Pull buoys, kickboards, noodles, and backpacks will be available. Towels, swim caps, and other swim gear is not available at this time. Please bring everything else you need to enjoy your swim.
New Health Protocols
- Showers: Please allow shower usage for swimmers.
- Reduced Capacity: Per state guidelines, our pools are operating at 33% capacity. This means reservations are required. For adult lap swim, only one person will be allowed in each lane per reservation; for family swim, a limited number of people will be allowed per reservation.
- Locker Room Updates: Locker rooms are open for changing but the steam room and sauna are still closed. Per state guidelines, hair dryers are not available, and please don't bring your own.
- How to Make a Reservation: Download the Y's new mobile app and activate your account to make swim reservations. From your app's homescreen, tap "Classes & Reservations." Check the schedule, find a time that works for you, and tap the "Join" button to reserve your spot. You will receive a confirmation email at the email address on file.
- Reserve on a Computer: If you cannot download our mobile app on a phone, and want to be able to reserve on a computer, please contact us and we will help you set up an account.
- Once you have an account set up, visit the mcburney-ymca.virtuagym.com that the branch staff gave you on the computer and log in with the username and password you were set up with.
- Click on "Schedule" in the left navigation, find the type of schedule you're looking for at the top of the page, click to open it, and then choose a time that works for you.
- Click on the "Book Now" button to reserve your spot. You will receive a confirmation email at the email address on file.
- Availability: 30 minute reservations are available during lap swim times. You can reserve your spot up to 48 hours in advance.
- Call: You can also call 212-912-2300 and we'll be happy to help reserve a time for you!
Lap Swim Policies
- Reservations are required for a lap swim session. There is a cap on the number of reservations a member can make per day. Please consult the app for more info.
- Please cancel swim reservations at least 4 hours in advance in order for another member to utilize the session. Members who cancel in less than 4 hours or do not show for their reservation will have their access to reservations limited.
- Please arrive at the lap swim check-in area no more than 5 minutes prior to your assigned swim time. You will be assigned a lane at check-in. Members arriving 15 minutes past the start of the session will forfeit their lane.
- The duration of your swim reservation includes entering and exiting the pool. Please exit the pool swiftly when advised by the lifeguard, take your belongings, and move toward the pool exit.
Family Swim Policies
- Reservations are required and all participants must be on the same family membership.
- Reservations open 48 hours in advance, and there is a cap on the number of individuals per reservation. Please consult the app for more info.
- Locker rooms are available for showering and changing. Use locker to store personal items and remember your lock.
- Please bring your own towel, swim cap, and filled water bottle.
- Please wear your mask at all times except when you are showering or swimming. Hooks will be available outside the shower and on the pool deck to hang your mask.
- Please arrive at the check-in area no more than 5 minutes prior to your assigned swim time. You will be assigned a spot at check-in.
- Enter the pool area and follow the deck markings to your spot.
- Please practice social distancing and wear a face mask until entering the pool and upon exiting the pool.
- Family Swim sessions are 45 minutes, including entering and exiting the pool. Please exit the pool swiftly when advised by the lifeguard, take your belongings, and move toward the pool exit.
- Noodles and lifejackets will be available, please request when checking in at pool.
Work out with a certified YMCA trainer who prioritizes your health and well-being while helping you achieve your fitness goals. Contact Jessica to get started, or pick up where you left off.
Teen Access and Teen Fitness Center
If you have a teen membership, you can come in during the Teen Fitness Center hours:
- Mon-Thu: 3:00-8:30 PM
- Sat-Sun: 8:00-3:00 PM
If you are a teen on a family membership, you can come on your own during teen hours. If you come with an adult who is part of your family membership, you can come anytime the Y is open.
All teens ages 12 through 17 are required to complete a fitness equipment orientation before using the fitness equipment. Contact Jessica to make an appointment.
Family Gym will be available on Sundays from 12-3pm starting Sunday, October 4. The family gym equipment will be limited due to social distancing, and the bouncy house is unavailable. First come, first serve — no reservation required. For more information, contact Jessica.