Swim Instructor I
SALARY: $15.00+ P/H
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Rockaway YMCA is seeking individuals who will be responsible for maintaining safe conditions at the branch, and promote a safe and positive atmosphere in accordance with YMCA of Greater New York Aquatics policies and procedures. The Swim Instructor will also provide swim instruction for different ages and ability levels and motivate their participants.
- Must be Instructor Ready: uniform, lesson plans, maintain records (attendance, track progress and complete end of session report).
- Instruct participants according to YMCA Aquatics program standards: using lesson guides, guided discovery teaching, effective class organization and positive relationship with participants.
- Ensure instructional equipment remains in good condition; have all equipment ready prior to classes and put away after
- Report repair needs to supervisor whenever necessary.
- Set-up, breakdown and store equipment for each class.
- Attend mandatory in-service training on a monthly basis.
- Must attain the YMCA Swim Lesson Instructor certification within 120 days of hire.
- Know and understand the Emergency Action Plan and Emergency Evacuation Routes.
- Enforce Aquatics safety rules consistently and fairly.
- Maintain positive relationships with class participants, parents, non-class members and staff.
- Promote other Aquatics programs; have knowledge of pool schedule and programs.
- Maintain certification level of physical and mental readiness. Responsible for recertification before expiration.
- Actively participate in training sessions, designated meetings and special events.
- Other activities and duties as needed that address the ongoing health and well-being of our staff and members.
- Follow and maintain sanitary habits in accordance with CDC guidelines.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Must be 17 years of age or older.
- High School diploma or equivalent, desired.
- Current YMCA Swim Lessons certification or equivalent.
- Current Basic Life Support, First Aid and Emergency Oxygen certifications (if required by certification organization).
- Demonstrate swim strokes and BLS/BFA/EO skills.
- Excellent hospitality skills.
- Must be willing to work flexible hours, including weekends and holidays.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
How to Apply:
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please complete our online application and submit your résumé and a thoughtful cover letter that explains your interest in the role and our organization.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities