Sports Instructor - Soccer
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Park Slope Armory YMCA is seeking a Sports Instructor - soccer who will be responsible for working with children/teens to promote the enjoyment of soccer activities while improving physical competence, developing confidence and teaching basic skill development in soccer, while also providing outstanding hospitality to ensure a positive user experience. The Sports Instructor - soccer will serve as a resource for participants to achieve exercise goals, skill goals and a sense of well-being.
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of children in the program, by providing close supervision of all activities.
- Provide a fun, safe and positive experience for all participants and create an all-inclusive and supportive learning environment.
- Provide supervision of the participants in line with YMCA program standards and guidelines (i.e. ratio, attendance).
- Work with the supervisor to develop program objectives and goals for each program session.
- Teach rules, fundamentals and enhance basic skills in soccer. Emphasize teamwork and sportsmanship.
- Teach progressive lessons and provide opportunities to demonstrate learned skills.
- Create and modify lesson plans and instruction that is age appropriate, progressive and meets the needs of the participants. Understand skills for ages 5 – 17, while utilizing differentiated instructions.
- Create an atmosphere in which all participants can have fun, are safe and learn the importance of good principled athletics.
- Ensure that all equipment is age-appropriate, safe and in proper working condition. This includes conducting monthly equipment safety checks.
- Communicate with parents/guardians regarding the progress of their child/teen and registration for the next session.
- Communicate to parents/guardians about additional YMCA opportunities that can benefit them or their child/teen.
- Work with the Supervisor to develop and lead program promotion and recruitment efforts.
- Provide direction to volunteers or Sports Assistants who are supporting the program, when needed.
- Have a thorough knowledge of branch emergency procedures and take appropriate actions for emergency situations.
- Ensure the cleanliness of program space during all activities.
- Inform Supervisor on-duty regarding any incident reports that need to be filled out.
- Obtain YMCA Coaching 101 Training within 90 days of start date.
- Obtain CDC HEADS UP Concussion in Youth Sports certificate within 30 days of start date.
- Actively participate in all training sessions, designated meetings and special events.
- Other activities and duties as needed that address the ongoing health and well-being of our staff and members.
- Follow and maintain sanitary habits in accordance with CDC guidelines.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum one (1) year experience teaching children/teens sports in a structured setting.
- Content expert in soccer.
- Ability to communicate effectively with members of all ages.
- Coaching certificate or equivalent desired.
- Current First Aid / CPR certifications.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Must be willing to work flexible hours, including weekends and holidays.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
How to Apply:
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please complete our online application and submit your résumé and a thoughtful cover letter that explains your interest in the role and our organization.
If you are a current YMCA employee, please submit your application through the Internal Career Site in Cornerstone.
** New Requirement**
All potential YMCA of Greater New York employees are required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination. Please use the “Additional Attachment” section on the online application to upload your proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities