Specialty Instructor - Japanese Language
SALARY: $25.00 P/H
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Long Island City YMCA is looking for a Specialty Instructor who will be responsible for teaching Japanese to Early Childhood and elementary students whose proficiency levels range from beginning literacy to high intermediate. The instructor reports to the Early Childhood Director and is responsible for developing and delivering lesson plans.
- Research and write lesson plans: create and facilitate activities connected to lesson plans that maintain student interests and retention.
- Deliver lessons using effective methodology.
- Administer evaluative tools.
- Track classroom attendance and other student monitoring devices.
- Track deadlines and maintain a comprehensive calendar of reports and forms due and fill out all appropriate forms completely and submit in a timely manner.
- Able to cater lesson plans to varying student skill levels.
- Actively participate in training sessions, designated meetings, and special events.
- Serve as a positive role model for participants.
- Other activities and duties that address the ongoing health and well-being of our staff and members.
- Follow and maintain sanitary habits in accordance with CDC guidelines
Desired Skills & Experience:
- High School Diploma or equivalent required. College credits and formal education preferred.
- Minimum of (2) two years or more of relevant experience including teaching languages.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, be highly organized,
- with strong attention to detail and willing to work with other teachers.
- Must be available for mandatory training in June.
- Must be available to work Monday to Friday between 9:00 am -5:00 pm. Monday, July 3rd to Friday, July 28th.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
The YMCA of Greater New York offers a variety of benefits to its staff members including retirement benefits, medical, paid-time off, free YMCA membership and more! Benefit eligibility is determined by an individual’s employment status (ie. full-time or part-time), tenure and/or the number of hours scheduled to work. Click here for more information.
How to Apply:
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please complete our online application and submit your résumé and a thoughtful cover letter that explains your interest in the role and our organization.
If you are a current YMCA employee, please submit your application through the Internal Career Site in Cornerstone.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities