Fitness Center Coach
SALARY: $17.00 - $19.00 P/H
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Harlem YMCA is seeking a Fitness Center Coach who will oversee fitness areas, at the branch, and provide outstanding hospitality to ensure a positive and safe user experience.
- Provide orientation and instruction on proper usage of fitness equipment to members – adults and teens.
- Provide outstanding hospitality to all members and guests. Outstanding hospitality is acting as a proactive agent - initiating a professional relationship with the members in regards to their needs, concerns, and questions and acting as an agent to accommodate the member’s needs/concerns.
- Understand the basic fitness principles and be aware of current fitness programs and trends.
- Assist members in effectively utilizing fitness equipment.
- Monitor fitness areas to ensure compliance with YMCA policies and procedures.
- Provide members with opportunities that will increase their involvement, sense of belonging, and ownership of the YMCA.
- Perform equipment inspections and report results to supervisor.
- Maintain cleanliness and order in the fitness center.
- Maintain required certifications, tracked in Club Connect.
- Attend current hospitality training within 90 days of hire.
- Actively participate in training sessions and designated meetings.
- Have a thorough knowledge of branch emergency procedures and take appropriate action for emergency situations.
- Support community and promotional special events as needed.
- Other activities and duties as needed that address the ongoing health and well-being of our staff and members.
- Follow and maintain sanitary habits in accordance with CDC guidelines.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Experience working in a health and fitness environment.
- Current CPR / First Aid / AED certifications.
- Knowledge of Principles of Member Health & Wellness, and Foundations of Strength and Conditioning.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Must be willing to work flexible hours, including evenings, weekends and holidays.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
The YMCA of Greater New York offers a variety of benefits to its staff members including retirement benefits, medical, paid-time off, free YMCA membership and more! Benefit eligibility is determined by an individual’s employment status (ie. full-time or part-time), tenure and/or the number of hours scheduled to work. Click here for more information.
How to Apply:
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please complete our online application and submit your résumé and a thoughtful cover letter that explains your interest in the role and our organization.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities