Salary: $17.00 - $40.00 P/H
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Long Island City YMCA is seeking an Education Specialist who under under the supervision of the Program Director, the Education Specialist will play a critical role in providing intensive and extensive academic tutoring in the subjects of math and literacy to children in grades K-8. Instruction and activities must be designed to promote subject mastery, develop grade-level competencies, and teach study skills. The Academic Tutor will also be responsible for creating a safe and positive environment for school age children, to provide opportunities for learning, interaction, and academic/ personal growth.
- Meet academic standards for tutoring and demonstrate competence in analyzing student’s academic needs.
- Assist participants in actively achieving an increased comprehension and retention of specific subject material, and improved academic skill in designated areas.
- Help participants develop necessary study skills for academic success.
- Identify participants experiencing difficulty; provide encouragement and alternative explanations of subject material.
- Assist participants with homework as needed.
- Work with Education Specialist/ Coordinator, Program Director and school staff to understand academic expectations of day school, and develop activities, assignments, practice tests, and strategies accordingly.
- Document, track, and maintain regular progress and academic records of designated participants. Provide feedback regarding participant progress as needed.
- Assist participants in developing self-confidence and reducing anxiety or fear of failure in academic work.
- Work with participants to develop a high level of motivation in academic areas and positive attitudes toward learning and studying by acknowledging student efforts as well as their progress and achievements.
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of participants in the program by providing appropriate supervision at all times.
- Work cooperatively with Afterschool Counselors, professional staff, teachers, and other program and school staff.
- Promote an inclusive, welcoming, and respectful environment that embraces the diversity of all participants.
- Create and maintain a strength-based, youth-focused atmosphere that is consistent and sensitive to the needs of participants with learning, emotional, or behavioral differences.
- Maintain accurate program documentation (attendance, sign in/out forms, behavior reports, incident reports, and accident reports, as appropriate).
- Serve as a positive role model for participants.
- Understand and communicate the YMCA’s core values and the goals of the Y After School Program to participants and care givers.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with parents and guardians through regular communication about their child’s strengths and areas of growth.
- Actively participate in training sessions, designated meetings, and special events, as appropriate.
- Adhere to all Department of Health, YMCA of Greater New York, and funder standards, expectations, and regulations.
- Other activities and duties as needed that address the ongoing health and well-being of our staff and members.
- Maintain sanitary habits in accordance with CDC guidelines.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Associates degree in Education or a related field. Bachelor degree or Masters degree preferred.
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience working with youth in an after school or tutoring environment.
- Possess an understanding and knowledge of public school functions, Common Core, and specific knowledge in age-appropriate math and/or literacy curriculum.
- General knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Knowledge of Access, Adobe PageMaker and Photoshop preferred.
- General knowledge of Google Classroom, Google Meets, Zoom and other online learning platforms.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Monday to Friday between 2:30pm-5:30pm until June 16, 2023. Must be available to work 2-3 days per week, dependent on programs needs.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
How to Apply:
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please complete our online application, and submit your résumé and a thoughtful cover letter that explains your interest in the role and our organization.
If you are a current YMCA employee, please submit your application through the Internal Career Site in Cornerstone.
** New Requirement**
All potential YMCA of Greater New York employees are required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination. Please use the “Additional Attachment” section on the online application to upload your proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities