Group Exercise Instructor I
SALARY: $15.00 P/H - $30.00 P/H
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Bedford-Stuyvesant YMCA is seeking certified individuals to conduct safe, fun, dynamic and effective group exercise classes in:
- Cardio Kickboxing
- Baby and Me Yoga
- Youth Ballet
- Total Body Conditioning
- Boot Camp
- Cardio Strength Interval
- Instruct safe and effective group exercise classes that meet the needs of all participants, beginning and ending classes on time.
- Provide and demonstrate appropriate warm-up exercises and cool downs, and modify routines according to participant fitness levels.
- Greet members and acquaint new participants with class procedures to create a welcoming environment.
- Monitor proper form and technique using positive reinforcement.
- Plan and provide appropriate and motivating music for classes.
- Provide a high degree of member service through a professional relationship with the members in regards to their needs, concerns, and questions about the YMCA, its programs and mission.
- Responsible for participant safety – inspect gym floor, equipment and supplies; notify supervisor of equipment in need of repair.
- Ability to relate to and work with people of diverse backgrounds.
- Educate members on current health and fitness issues and trends.
- Conduct classes that are well organized.
- Maintain education certification.
- Actively participate in designated staff meetings and trainings related to the position.
- Other activities and duties as needed that address the ongoing health and well-being of our staff and members.
- Follow and maintain sanitary habits in accordance with CDC guidelines.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Two to five years of experience in related field preferred.
- Ability to work with participants of varying experience and skills levels.
- Current CPR/AED certifications.
- Current National Group Exercise certifications (ACE, AFAA, or YMCA).
- Excellent customer service.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
How to Apply:
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please forward your cover letter and resume with subject line “Group Exercise Instructor” via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or to:Bedford-Stuyvesant YMCA
Attn: Khadijah Frederick
1121 Bedford Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11216
** New Requirement**
All potential YMCA of Greater New York employees are required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination. To be considered for this position, please attach your proof of COVID-19 vaccination, along with your resume.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities