SALARY: $15.00 P/H
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Harlem YMCA is seeking a qualified individual who will assist in the management, supervision and facilitation of all core programming for the teen population at the Harlem YMCA. The Teen Advisor will assist with all teen services and programs, including service learning, community development, leadership, college readiness and outreach. Additionally, the incumbent will be responsible for advertising and recruiting participants, ensuring proper documentation, teen reports, and meeting program goals.
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of participants in the program, by providing close supervision of all activities.
- Create an environment that is diverse, culturally sensitive and relevant to the needs of teens.
- Acts as the liaison to YMCA of Greater New York in regards to teen issues.
- Plan, coordinate, and implement program registration, program workshops, and special events.
- Assist in the marketing and distribution of program information and help compile program statistics.
- Develop positive relationships with the participants, their friends and family members.
- Instruct and mentor teen participants.
- Adhere to all Department of Health, Department of Youth and Community Development and YMCA of Greater New York standards.
- Ability to work cooperatively with professional staff and other departments.
- Manage administrative data entry, Youth Service.NET, coordination of participant paperwork and management of teen participant portfolios.
- Have a thorough knowledge of branch emergency procedures and take appropriate actions for emergency situations on-site and during field trips.
- Assist in fund development endeavors for the Youth & Family Department.
- Actively participate in designated meetings, training sessions and special events.
- Must be 21 years of age or older.
- High school diploma or equivalent required; Bachelor’s degree, or working towards a degree, is strongly desired.
- Current CPR / First Aid / AED certification preferred.
- Minimum of two years of experience working with youth and teens.
- Experience teaching and facilitating trainings on issues related to teens.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be able to manage adolescent behavior with respect, maturity, compassion and encouragement.
- Administrative skills, including data entry and knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, preferred.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please forward your cover letter and resume with subject line “Teen Advisor” to email@example.com or to:
Attn: Ibrahim Diakite
180 West 135th Street
New York, NY 10030
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities