SALARY: $15.00 P/H
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Greenpoint YMCA is seeking experience individuals who will assist in implementing developmentally appropriate child- centered curriculum, which encourages learning through exploration and discovery, and promotes the development of a positive self-image. The Teacher's Aide will model positive social interactions and language and implement positive class management techniques and strategies. All practices the Assistant Teacher uses must be consistent with guidelines put forth by the NYC Department of Health / Bureau of Day Care and must be in keeping with the mission and values of the YMCA of Greater New York.
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of children in the program, by providing close supervision of all activities.
- Assist Teacher in creating and leading developmentally appropriate lessons and activities.
- Work as a supportive team member.
- Maintain a clean and safe classroom environment, by reporting and / or removing all potential hazards and by setting up spaces and materials with a focus on supporting child learning.
- Prepare food for children and maintain a family style setting for eating conducive to language, cognitive and social development, as well as the development of healthy habits.
- Maintain accurate program documentation including by not limited to incident, accident and behavior reports, attendance sheets, sign-in / sign-out sheets, development and growth forms; document eating and sleeping, as well as any areas of concern.
- Ensure that all YMCA of Greater New York and Department of Health / Bureau of Day Care guidelines are followed.
- Actively participate in all training sessions, designated meetings, and special events.
- High School diploma; at least six college credits in Early Childhood Education or related field; Teacher Assistant certificate preferred.
- Minimum of one year of experience working with young children in a group setting.
- Knowledge of child development and developmentally appropriate practices.
- Current CPR / First Aid certifications.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please forward your cover letter and resume with subject line “Teacher's Aide” to email@example.com or to:Greenpoint YMCA
Attn: Linda Leahy
99 Meserole Ave.
Brooklyn, NY 11222
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities