Sports Instructor - Basketball
SALARY: $20.00 P/H - $35.00 P/H
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Harlem YMCA is seeking a Basketball Instructor who will be responsible for working with children/teens to promote the enjoyment of sports activities while improving physical competence, developing confidence and teaching basic skill development.
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of children in the program, by providing close supervision of all activities.
- Work with the Supervisor to develop program objectives and goals for each program session.
- Create a written lesson plan for the program session that is age-appropriate and progressive, as needed.
- Provide supervision of the participants in line with YMCA program standards and guidelines (i.e. ratio, attendance).
- Be able to modify lesson plans and instruction to meet the needs of the participants.
- Emphasize teamwork and sportsmanship.
- Teach rules, fundamentals and enhance basic skills.
- Communicate with parents / guardians regarding the progress of their child / teen, and registration for the next session.
- Communicate to parents / guardians about additional YMCA opportunities that can benefit them or their child / teen.
- Ensure that all equipment is age-appropriate, safe and in proper working condition. This includes conducting monthly equipment safety checks.
- Work with the Supervisor to develop and lead program promotion and recruitment efforts.
- When applicable, provide direction to volunteers or Sports Assistants who are supporting the program.
- Have a thorough knowledge of branch emergency procedures and take appropriate actions for emergency situations.
- Ensure the cleanliness of program space during all activities.
- Inform Supervisor on-duty regarding any incident reports that need to be filled out.
- Attend YMCA Coaching within 90 days of employment.
- Receive CDC Heads Up Concussion in Youth Sports certification within 30 days of employment.
- Actively participate in all training sessions, designated meetings and special events.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum of one year of experience teaching children / teens basketball in a structured setting.
- Knowledge of youth development stages.
- Content expert in designated sport(s).
- Ability to communicate effectively with members of all ages.
- Current First Aid / CPR certifications.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please forward your cover letter and resume with subject line “Sports Instructor - Basketball” to firstname.lastname@example.org or to:Harlem YMCA
Attn.: Caroline Sanchez
180 West 135th Street
New York, NY 10030
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities