We are thrilled to restart our YMCA programs and services! Although we continue to wait for final state approval to physically open our branches, we're excited to offer a variety of outdoor and virtual options to help you stay active and healthy.
We continue to wait for final state approval — and we continue to prepare. Our staff is doing everything we can to create a welcoming and clean environment for all, and things will be a little different when you come back. Learn more about what to expect.
Reopening in Phases
The Y will begin reopening branches as soon as we receive final approval from New York State.
- We will reopen our branches in phases, starting with the Bedford-Stuyvesant YMCA, Cross Island YMCA, Dodge YMCA, McBurney YMCA, and West Side YMCA. If all goes well, additional branches will open the following week.
- We will also reopen our amenities and programs in phases. There are four planned stages, and more services will be available as we move through each stage:
- Stage 1
Cardio centers, strength training, free weight rooms.
- Stage 2
Everything in Stage 1, plus lap swim, group exercise classes, locker rooms, personal training, and adult non-contact activities.
- Stage 3
Everything in Stage 2, plus pool group exercise classes, family swim, youth non-contact classes. Youth, teen, and guest access resumes.
- Stage 4
Everything in Stage 3, plus family gym, family programs, teen programs, child watch, kids classes, and adult contact activities.
- Stage 1
What to Expect When Our Branches Reopen
- Please stay home if you're sick. Your temperature will be checked upon entry, and we’ll ask you to review and acknowledge a Health Declaration.
- Bring your own mask and wear it at all times. Our staff will be wearing face coverings as well for your protection. Please also bring a water bottle, towel, and any small workout equipment you may need (mat, jump rope, resistance bands, etc.).
- Practice social distancing when possible. We've changed spacing of equipment to maintain distance, and have floor markings to help guide you. When they open, group exercise classes and lap swim will also be modified to maintain distance.
- Wipe down equipment before and after use, wash your hands often, and use hand sanitizer. Our staff will also be rigorously cleaning and disinfecting the Y and our equipment continuously throughout the day and prior to opening. Additional cleaning will be performed when the branch is closed on Fridays.
- Expect reduced capacity. We're limiting the number of people within certain areas of the facility. Only YMCA members ages 18+ are allowed at during Stages 1 and 2.
- Reservations will be required when group exercise classes and lap swim resume. Please use our new mobile app or call your branch to make a reservation.