Member Experience Representative
Salary: $17.50 - $18.00 P/H
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Flushing YMCA is seeking a Member Experience Representative, who under the direct supervision of the Membership Sales & Engagement Director, will provide a positive experience in person, and by telephone to all constituents of the Dodge YMCA. The Member Experience Representative will provide a high-quality member experience by building relationships in order to meet the needs of our constituents. In addition, the Member Experience Representative will efficiently and accurately process all transactions, including facility access and membership and program registrations.
Build and engage our community
- Enthusiastically greet and welcome everyone who enters the Branch with a smile, as quickly as they enter as is possible (staff says hello first!).
- Provide a positive experience with every interaction, in person and over the telephone.
- Answer the telephone with a smile, in a friendly and inviting manner, using the standard YMCA greeting.
- Offer all guests and prospective members a tour of the facility.
- De-escalate difficult situations according to Y standards and utilizing the 4 A’s (Apologize, Ask, Acknowledge, Act).
- Dialog with any member that is considering cancelling their membership to provide information to the Membership Sales and Engagement Director.
- Make valuable use of any downtime by working on additional assignments.
Represent the Y brand in a professional manner
- Arrive promptly for each scheduled shift with a positive attitude and high level of energy.
- Wear your staff uniform and visible name tag.
- Use professional communication to engage constituents in the Y.
- Conduct yourself as a team player and support co-workers and all staff at all times, in speech and in actions.
- Conduct yourself according to the YMCA values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility.
- Other activities and duties as needed that address the ongoing health and well-being of our staff members.
Invest in your development
- Attend and successfully complete training on our customer management software within 30 days of employment.
- Take initiative for your personal and professional development by taking advantage of the opportunities the Y presents, formal and informal.
- Attend any trainings relevant to the position as assigned by your supervisor.
Provide excellent service
- Scan all members and program participants into the facility access system and ensure there is a photo on file for every member to provide safety and security for all.
- Answer telephone inquiries and collect contact information of caller in order to be able to follow up with prospective members and program participants.
- Transfer membership inquiries to the Membership Sales and Engagement Director when appropriate.
- Process program registrations with a focus on engagement in the programs (provide necessary information).
- Be knowledgeable of all facility and program offerings in order to provide information to members and prospective members.
- Accurately process all transactions, including membership, program registrations, facility access and guest/resident room reservations if applicable.
- Reconcile end of shift report for accurate cash handling.
- Take adequate time with each constituent (do not rush).
- Efficiently process guest passes according to guest pass policies.
- Pass along important information that occurred during your shift to the Membership Sales and Engagement Director.
- Other activities and duties that address the ongoing health and well-being of our staff and members.
- Follow and maintain sanitary habits in accordance with CDC guidelines.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- High School diploma or equivalent. College Credits preferred.
- One (1) to two (2) years of customer service experience.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office and computer literate.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to quickly build rapport and credibility.
- Entrepreneurial spirit with the willingness to support team members by covering additional shifts at times.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and deal with pressure.
- Excellent communication and problem-solving skills.
- Entrepreneurial spirit with the ability to work a variety of hours, including daytime, evenings and weekends.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
The YMCA of Greater New York offers a variety of benefits to its staff members including retirement benefits, medical, paid-time off, free YMCA membership and more! Benefit eligibility is determined by an individual’s employment status (ie. full-time or part-time), tenure and/or the number of hours scheduled to work. Click here for more information.
How to Apply:
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please complete our online application and submit your résumé and a thoughtful cover letter that explains your interest in the role and our organization.
If you are a current YMCA employee, please submit your application through the Internal Career Site in Cornerstone.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities