Director, Healthy Lifestyles
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Cross Island YMCA Director, Healthy Lifestyles will provide leadership to the Healthy Lifestyles departments to deliver consistent, quality healthy lifestyles programming to meet the needs of members and the community. The Director, Healthy Lifestyles will be responsible for strategic planning, program development, volunteer/committee development, facility management, and Human Resources and will also enforce the YMCA of Greater New York mission, vision and values in the areas of staffing and member retention.
- Provide outstanding hospitality to all members and guests. Outstanding hospitality is acting as a proactive agent - initiating a professional relationship with the members in regards to their needs, concerns, and questions and acting as an agent to accommodate the member’s needs/concerns.
- Plan, schedule and evaluate all related programs and services.
- Develop, control, and track the departmental budget, in accordance with Branch and Association guidelines.
- Assist in Annual Campaign efforts.
- Recruit, develop, train, evaluate and supervise staff and volunteers.
- Direct the scheduling, management, maintenance and repair of facilities and equipment pertaining Health & Wellness areas.
- Work within the community to foster a positive image of the YMCA to encourage good public relations by going into the community to support local health fairs, special events, etc.
- Serve on Branch Leadership Team and as liaison to the Association’s Healthy Lifestyles Cabinet.
- Set annual priority objectives to improve service, based on annual evaluations and feedback from staff, members, volunteers, and guests.
- Maintain required certifications, tracked in Club Connect.
- Serve as branch Manager-on-Duty (MOD), as assigned.
- Work with the Board of Managers and Committees, as needed.
- Understand, promote, model, and communicate the YMCA’s core values of respect, responsibility, caring and honesty.
- Have a thorough knowledge of branch emergency procedures, and take appropriate action for emergency situations.
- Attend hospitality training within ninety (90) days of hire.
- Actively participate in all trainings, designated meetings and special events.
- Other activities and duties as needed that address the ongoing health and well-being of our staff and members.
- Follow and maintain sanitary habits in accordance with CDC guidelines.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Kinesiology, Exercise Physiology or related field preferred.
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience in a fitness supervisor / management position.
- Commensurate experience in fitness management.
- Current CPR/AED, and First Aid certifications.
- Knowledge of fitness trends, fitness training, Foundation of Strength and Conditioning, Group Exercise and Listen First, and Principles of Member Health & Wellness.
- Excellent hospitality, interpersonal and communications skills.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with an organizational culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
How to Apply:
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please complete our online application and submit your résumé and a thoughtful cover letter that explains your interest in the role and our organization.
If you are a current YMCA employee, please submit your application through the Internal Career Site in Cornerstone.
** New Requirement**
All potential YMCA of Greater New York employees are required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination. Please use the “Additional Attachment” section on the online application to upload your proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities