Building & Grounds Superintendent
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Castle Hill YMCA is seeking a Building & Grounds Superintendent. The Building & Grounds Superintendent’s primary responsibility is to consistently create that environment. Provides leadership to the overall operation of the mechanical, housekeeping and life safety systems of the Castle Hill YMCA, including preventative and routine maintenance, fire safety, security and pool operating systems. Ensures that the building has the required operating certifications and required recordkeeping as required by codes. Will also be responsible for ensuring compliance with all Federal, State and City property regulations.
- Ensure that our facility and grounds are functional, clean, organized and inspiring.
- Provides overall leadership of facility maintenance, including planning, developing and where feasible, performing preventative and routine maintenance schedules, as well as planning, developing and overseeing branch capital projects and budgets
- Plan, develop and perform maintenance on all mechanical infrastructure systems, electric, plumbing, HVAC and pool operations.
- Completes repair work and projects in a timely manner. Where possible, self performs repair work. Where necessary, oversees contractors. Conduct bid reviews and recommend selection of contractors
- Works with outside agencies (FDNY, DOH, DOB, etc.) to ensure compliance with all local, state and federal regulations related to facilities and grounds. Maintain all required logs and record books
- Recruits, hires, trains, develops, schedules and directs assigned staff and volunteers. Where applicable, reviews and evaluates performance. Develops strategies to motivate staff and achieve goals
- Advises management on maintenance issues and projects as requested. Works with branch and Association Office staff teams to provide most efficient systems of all building and mechanical operations
- Maintain positive relationships with members, staff and vendors. Show members, colleagues and outside vendors respect by listening carefully and showing empathy when dealing with a difficult situation
- Serve as Manager on Duty as needed
- Supervise all cleaning, maintenance and residence staff, coordinate with all branch department heads, achieves high level of productivity with available resources
- Provide leadership to the security team at the branch.
- Other activities and duties as needed that address the ongoing health and well-being of our staff and members
- Maintain sanitary habits in accordance with CDC guidelines
Desired Skills & Experience:
- High School diploma or equivalent required; Bachelor’s degree in Facility Management or related field preferred.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience supervising building operations and maintenance staff.
- Knowledge of building operation and fire safety codes and regulation required.
- Knowledge of project management, bidding, project proposals and preventative maintenance programs.
- Knowledge of budget management, volunteer development, building security, HPD codes and regulations strongly desired.
- Proven background in Electrical (NYC Codes), Plumbing (NYC Codes), Fire Protection System (NYC Codes), Building Construction and Management, Energy Conservation, Burner and Boiler.
- Must obtain S12, S13, W07, F01 and C42 certifications with in the first 90 days.
- Must obtain YMCA Pool certification within the first 180 days of employment where applicable.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Solid computer skills with knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Bilingual English/Spanish, a plus.
- Must be able to effectively manage self and others in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be available to respond to emergency calls during off-hours, including evenings and weekends.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
How to Apply:
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please forward your cover letter and resume with subject line “a Building & Grounds Superintendent” firstname.lastname@example.org
Castle Hill YMCA
Attn: Sharlene Brown, Executive Director
2 Castle Hill Ave
Bronx, NY 10473
** New Requirement**All potential YMCA of Greater New York employees are required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination. To be considered for this position, please attach your proof of COVID-19 vaccination, along with your resume.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities