SALARY: $28.00 P/H
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Cross Island YMCA is seeking an Education Specialist who will be responsible for planning, organizing, and leading groups of assigned participants in a variety of educational enhancement activities in the areas of math, science, and literacy, which will teach skills and help to improve overall academic performance of children, grades K – 8. Instruction and activities must be designed to promote subject mastery, develop grade-level competencies, and teach study skills. The Education Specialist will also be responsible for creating a safe and positive environment for school age children, to provide opportunities for learning, interaction, and academic / personal growth.
Y After-School programs operate from 2:00pm-6:00pm, Monday-Friday and during public school breaks.
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of participants in the program by providing appropriate supervision at all times.
- Create and maintain a strength-based, youth-focused atmosphere that is consistent and sensitive to the needs of participants with learning, emotional, or behavioral differences.
- Provide intensive and extensive academic tutoring in the subjects of math and literacy to children, grades K – 8.
- Meet academic standards for tutoring and demonstrate competence in analyzing students’ academic needs.
- Document, track, and maintain regular progress and academic records of designated participants. Provide feedback regarding participant progress as needed.
- Assist participants in developing self-confidence and reducing anxiety or fear of failure in academic work.
- Assist participants in actively achieving an increased comprehension and retention of specific subject material, and improved academic skill in designated areas.
- Help participants develop necessary study skills for academic success.
- Assist participants with homework as needed.
- Identify participants experiencing difficulty; provide encouragement and alternative explanations of subject material.
- Work with Site Director and school staff to understand academic expectations of day school, and develop activities, assignments, practice tests, and strategies accordingly.
- Work with participants to develop a high level of motivation in academic areas and positive attitudes toward learning and studying by acknowledging student efforts as well as their progress and achievements.
- Work cooperatively with Afterschool staff, professional staff, teachers, and other program and school staff.
- Promote an inclusive, welcoming, and respectful environment that embraces the diversity of all participants.
- Maintain accurate program documentation (attendance, sign in/out forms, behavior / incident / accident reports, as appropriate).
- Serve as a positive role model for participants.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with parents and guardians through regular communication about their child’s strengths and areas of growth.
- Understand and communicate the YMCA’s core values and the goals of the Y After School program to participants and care givers.
- Adhere to all Department of Health, YMCA of Greater New York, and funder standards, expectations, and regulations.
- Actively participate in training sessions, designated meetings, and special events.
- Other activities and duties as needed that address the ongoing health and well-being of our staff and members
- Follow and maintain sanitary habits in accordance with CDC guidelines.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Education or a related field. Teaching credentials preferred.
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience working with youth in an academic environment. Public School teaching experience preferred.
- Possess an understanding and knowledge of public-school functions, Common Core, and specific knowledge in age-appropriate math and/or literacy curriculum.
- General knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Knowledge of Access, Adobe PageMaker and Photoshop preferred.
- General knowledge of Google Classroom, Google Meets, Zoom and other online learning platforms.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Must be able to work Monday thru Friday from 2:00pm to 6:00pm.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
How to Apply:
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please complete our online application and submit your résumé and a thoughtful cover letter that explains your interest in the role and our organization.
If you are a current YMCA employee, please submit your application through the Internal Career Site in Cornerstone.
** New Requirement**
All potential YMCA of Greater New York employees are required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination. Please use the “Additional Attachment” section on the online application to upload your proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities