New American Initiative Instructor – Computer Literacy
SALARY: $20.00 P/H
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Prospect Park YMCA is seeking a New American Initiative Instructor – Computer Literacy who will be responsible for developing curricula that is aligned with adult learning principals and the necessary educational gains, facilitating assigned classes in ESOL, evaluating students’ progress, and supporting the programs and services within the New American Initiative.
- Develop and / or utilize lesson plans that reflect an understanding of how best to teach reading, writing, grammar, listening, speaking, and technology skills in thematically organized and developmentally / culturally appropriate ways.
- Maintain up-to-date hard and soft copies of lesson plans, syllabi, curricula, and handouts.
- Teach Technology, ESOL, or other assigned class, in a manner which builds student skill level and confidence.
- Complete student assessments each cycle, within the communicated timeline of the Center.
- Maintain accurate and timely student files, including students’ work, documentation of skill development, test results, and case notes, as appropriate.
- Support with classroom administration, including ordering supplies as appropriate.
- Manage attendance regularly, including documenting classroom and submitting attendance for each class.
- Ensure timely data entry into databases (Collaborate, ASISTS, Capricorn), as needed.
- Pre- and post-test students using Best Plus standardized testing or alternative assessment tools.
- Model the best practices of hospitality and positive culture.
- Support all aspects of programming, including but not limited to community outreach, recruitment, and participant outreach.
- Work enthusiastically as part of a team and establish positive relationships with participants, the community, collaborators and partnerships.
- Actively participate in training sessions, designated meetings, and special events.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree in Education preferred.
- Minimum of one year of relevant experience teaching Technology.
- Ability and interest in working with diverse populations.
- Knowledge of principles and practices related to adult literacy, preparing lesson plans, syllabi and curricula, conducting and preparing assessment tools, civic education, immigration legal services and case management, Microsoft Office, including Excel, and working knowledge of Microsoft Suite.
- Knowledge of Best Plus Testing preferred.
- Must be a self-starter, highly organized, patient and able to work well with others.
- Bilingual preferred.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please forward your cover letter and resume with subject line “New American Initiative Instructor – Computer Literacy” to email@example.com or to:Prospect Park YMCA
Attn: Nabila Khan
357 Ninth Street
Brooklyn, NY 11215
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities