The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The New York YMCA Camp, located in Huguenot, NY, is seeking for a qualified individual who will provide quality and safe outdoor education experiences for participants, through teaching of environmental sciences, outdoor skills, environmental history and challenge programs.
- Perform assigned duties to ensure the students receive a residential experience that is rewarding and memorable, with a focus on group cooperation.
- Plan and teach classes, appropriate for age, ability, level of experience, integrating seamlessly with school groups’ curriculum.
- Provide recreational programs for participants.
- Supervise students in both dining hall and dorms, as assigned.
- Program development and implementation of new or alternate activities or procedures.
- Effectively manage assigned program area to ensure all equipment and materials are available.
- Work with other departments on projects, as they become priority.
- Provide quality programs for weekend conference groups, as required. Weekend work is scheduled on a rotating basis.
- Assist with pre-planning for weekend programs, on occasion.
- Actively participate in training sessions, designated meetings and special events.
- Bachelor’s degree in Outdoor Environmental Education (OEE), Recreation, Education or related field preferred.
- Interest in working with children in the outdoors.
- Previous teaching, OEE or camp experience helpful.
- Outdoor skills required.
- Current First Aid/FPR/Lifeguard and EMT certifications.
- Project wild, K.N.O.L.L.S or Outward Bound helpful.
- Strong communications skills.
- Excellent hospitality skills.
- Must be able to live on-site.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please forward your cover letter and resume with subject line "Naturalist" to email@example.com or to:New York YMCA Camp
Attn: Hillary Southard
P.O. Box 622
160 Big Pond Road
Huguenot, NY 12746
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities