Director, Healthy Lifestyles
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Greenpoint YMCA is seeking a Director, Healthy Lifestyles who will provide direction and leadership for the Healthy Lifestyles department. The Director, Healthy Lifestyles will be responsible for strategic planning, program development, volunteer/committee development, facility management, and Human Resources. The incumbent will also enforce the YMCA of Greater New York mission, vision and values in the areas of staffing and member retention.
- Recruit, develop, train, evaluate and supervise all staff and volunteers.
- Plan, schedule and evaluate all related programs and services.
- Provide outstanding hospitality to all members and guests.
- Develop, track and control the department budget, in accordance with Branch and Association guidelines.
- Assist in Annual Campaign efforts.
- Direct the scheduling, maintenance and repair of department areas and equipment.
- Research, facilitate and build quality programs that provide member satisfaction.
- Work within the community to foster a positive image and encourage good public relations.
- Serve on Branch Leadership Team and as liaison to the Association’s Healthy Lifestyles Cabinet.
- Set annual priority objectives to improve service, based on annual evaluations and feedback from staff, members, volunteers, and guests.
- Understand, promote, model, and communicate the YMCA’s core values of respect, responsibility, caring and honesty.
- Maintain required certifications, tracked in Club Connect.
- Have a thorough knowledge of branch emergency procedures, and take appropriate action for emergency situations.
- Serve as branch Manager-on-Duty (MOD), as assigned, and work with the Board of Managers and Committees, as needed.
- Attend hospitality training within ninety (90) days of hire.
- Actively participate in all trainings, designated meetings and special events.
- Bachelor’s degree in Kinesiology, Exercise Physiology or other related field. Master’s degree in Kinesiology, Exercise Physiology, or related field preferred.
- Minimum of three years of experience in a fitness supervisor / management position.
- Minimum three years implementing, teaching and supervising different fitness programs.
- Commensurate experience in fitness management.
- Current CPR, First Aid, AED certifications.
- ACSM, NASM, NSCA, AFAA or ACE certifications are a plus.
- Knowledge of fitness trends, fitness training, Foundation of Strength and Conditioning, Group Exercise and Listen First, and Principles of Member Health & Wellness.
- Excellent hospitality, interpersonal and communications skills.
- Must be available to work nights and weekends, occasionally.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with an organizational culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please send your cover letter and resume with subject line “Director, Healthy Lifestyles” to firstname.lastname@example.org or to:Greenpoint YMCA
Attn: Kendall Charter
99 Meserole Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11222
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities