SALARY: $15.00 P/H - $30.00 P/H
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Greenpoint YMCA is seeking qualified individuals who will be responsible for choreographing and teaching classes to children / teens, with a focus on teaching the enjoyment of dance and movement.
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of children in the program, by providing close supervision of all activities.
- Provide a fun, positive and safe experience for all participants.
- Create an all-inclusive and supportive learning environment.
- Teach progressive lessons and provide opportunities to demonstrate learned skills.
- Encourage a lifetime participation in movement and physical activity.
- Work with the Supervisor to develop program objectives and goals for each program session.
- Create a written lesson plan for the program session that is age-appropriate and progressive.
- Provide supervision of the participants in line with YMCA program standards and guidelines (i.e. ratio, attendance).
- Be able to modify lesson plans and instruction to meet the needs of the participants.
- Communicate with parents / guardians regarding the progress of their child / teen, and registration for the next session.
- Communicate to parents / guardians about additional YMCA opportunities that can benefit them or their child / teen.
- Create an environment that is encouraging to all dancers, regardless of skill level.
- Work with the Supervisor to develop and lead program promotion and recruitment efforts.
- Have a thorough knowledge of branch emergency procedures and take appropriate actions for emergency situations.
- Inform Supervisor on-duty regarding any incident reports that need to be filled out.
- Maintain accurate program documentation (incident / accident / behavior reports, attendance & sign-in / sign-out sheets).
- Ensure the cleanliness of program space during all activities.
- Attend YMCA Coaching within 90 days of employment.
- Receive CDC Heads Up Concussion in Youth Sports certification within 30 days of employment.
- Actively participate in all training sessions, designated meetings and special events.
- High School diploma or equivalent; Bachelor's degree in Fine Arts preferred.
- Minimum of one year of experience teaching dance classes and working with youth and teens in a structured setting.
- Content expert in designated areas of dance.
- Knowledge of youth development stages.
- Current CPR / First Aid / AED certifications.
- Excellent hospitality and communication skills.
- Flexibility to work mornings, evenings or weekends.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please forward your cover letter and resume with subject line “Dance Instructor” to firstname.lastname@example.org or to:Greenpoint YMCA
Attn: Kendall Charter
99 Meserole Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11222
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities