SALARY: $25.00 P/H
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Prospect Park YMCA is seeking a Cartooning Instructor to develop and lead engaging cartooning classes for children ages 5 - 12 years old. The Cartooning Instructor will introduce opportunities for children to explore creativity and teach children how to tell stories using illustrations, images and drawing.
- Facilitate cartooning classes that are educational, dynamic and safe for children.
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of participants in the program, by providing supervision of all activities.
- Teach children about an array of art mediums through youth development activities in an engaging and responsive manner.
- Plan and teach engaging and lively 45 minute – 1 hour long classes.
- Set up room and return equipment used for the class.
- Work with the Arts and Culture Director to order and maintain all equipment and supplies needed for class, and to develop a curriculum of age-appropriate activities and art themes.
- Lead participants through skills and techniques that will enhance creativity and imagination.
- Maintain accurate program documentation (incident reports, attendance, etc.).
- Meet and relate with participants and parents in a friendly, helpful way.
- Adhere to the YMCA’s standards, guidelines and mission.
- Provide supervisor with lesson plans on a monthly schedule, and as needed,
- Teach class to full capacity (at least 8 children), and assist in outreach efforts.
- Actively participate in designated meetings, training sessions and special events.
- Bachelor's degree in art, art education or related field.
- Minimum of two years of experience working with youth.
- Experience working in youth development context with arts and cartooning activities.
- Knowledge of youth development art practices.
- Creativity and flexibility is a must.
- Excellent hospitality and communication skills.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please forward your cover letter and resume with subject line “Cartooning Instructor” to firstname.lastname@example.org or to:Prospect Park YMCA
Attn: Leah Krieble
357 Ninth Street
Brooklyn NY 11215
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities