Theatre House Manager
Salary: $19.00 - $25.00 P/H
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The West Side YMCA is seeking highly motivated individuals to join our theater service team. The House Manager Ushers will be responsible for assisting patrons, department staff, colleagues, and other theater related duties before, during, and after performances at the Off-Broadway Marjorie S. Deane Little Theater located at 10 West 64th Street and related spaces.
- Manage scheduling of front of house staff.
- Responsible for opening and closing the theater.
- Following all procedures for end of shift, including turning off all lights and double-checking that all areas including theater, Map Room, Box Office, dressing rooms on main and basement level, restrooms, office, and storage room are securely locked.
- Supervise and facilitate the clearing, cleaning, and comfort of the theater, lobby area, dressing rooms and related event spaces with YMCA maintenance, security and related colleagues.
- Assist in preparation and coordination of materials for rentals, events and general MSDLT and Community Arts related needs.
- Coordinate with Box Office Manager and theater staff for any ADA compliant needs.
- Warmly greet, guide, collect tickets and assist patrons in finding their seats.
- Regulates traffic flow inside and outside the theater, including access to the 64`h Street entrance. At all times maintaining proper areas of egress in theater aisles and hallways as well as providing easy passage for members or other branch users unattached to the theater event.
- Distribute programs.
- Efficiently provide assistance and instruction to patrons with special needs and in case of emergency; manage and resolve medium level customer service concerns quickly and professionally.
- Provide support and provide specific information about the performance, venue, etc. to all patrons in a timely and professional
- Work independently and actively without direct supervision; able to comfortably delegate and ensure procedures and guidelines are being
- followed through correctly to ensure patron, staff and visitor safety.
- Work with Stage Manager and Production Manager to coordinate show/house opening and seating.
- Monitor and regulate food and beverages, cell phone and camera usage.
- Ensuring signage and all necessary preparation are correct and promptly ready for performances, events and related activities.
- Ensures the safety of patrons and staff through proper implementation of and enforcement of emergency procedures and YMCA guidelines and policies.
- Also, when required, completing an incident report and submitting it to the Facilities Supervisor.
- Submit daily report to Theater Manager for all theater usage, including any damages or repair needs.
- Ability to work day, evening and weekend shifts.
- Other activities and duties that address the ongoing health and well-being of our staff and members.
- Follow and maintain sanitary habits in accordance with CDC guidelines.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Bachelor’s preferred or equivalent experience.
- Prior customer service experience, preferably performing arts related.
- CPR and Fire Safety certifications required.
- Ability to multi-task effectively, professionally and neatly with a high degree of accuracy.
- Strong organizational, team and interpersonal skills.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
How to apply?
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please complete our online application and submit your résumé and a thoughtful cover letter that explains your interest in the role and our organization.
If you are a current YMCA employee, please submit your application through the Internal Career Site in Cornerstone.
** New Requirement**
All potential YMCA of Greater New York employees are required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination. Please use the “Additional Attachment” section on the online application to upload your proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities