SALARY: $16.00 P/H
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Chinatown YMCA is seeking a Teen Advisor who, under the supervision of the Program Director, will play a critical role in the successful operation of the teen programs. The incumbent will monitor and supervise all hybrid teen services and programs, both on remote platforms and in person, including Y core programs, service learning, community development, leadership, college readiness and outreach. In addition, the Teen Advisor will be responsible for advertising and recruiting participants, ensuring proper documentation and reporting reports, and meeting program goals. Teens programs operate from 3:00pm-6:00pm, Monday-Friday and during public school breaks.
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of participants in the program, by providing close supervision of all activities, and ensuring spaces are clean and supplies are well maintained.
- Promote an inclusive, welcoming, and respectful environment that embraces the diversity of all participants.
- Act as the liaison to YMCA of Greater New York regarding teen issues.
- Plan, create and facilitate remote and in person lesson plans for all programs. Virtual activities will be run using Zoom/Google Classroom) as the platform.
- Manage administrative data entry in various systems including Youth Service.NET, coordination of participant paperwork, conducting program surveys, and all other requirements outlined by City agencies and in the YMCA’s Teen Standards and Program Charts of Work.
- Manage adolescent behavior with respect, maturity, compassion and encouragement.
- Develop positive relationships with the participants, their friends and family members.
- Ability to work cooperatively with professional staff and other departments.
- Create remote and in person environment that is diverse, culturally sensitive and relevant to the needs of teens.
- Assist in fund development endeavors for the Youth & Family Department.
- Understand, maintain, and ensure that participants follow Risk Management and safety procedures.
- Adhere to all Department of Health, YMCA of Greater New York, and funder standards, expectations, and regulations.
- Actively participate in training sessions, designated meetings, and special events, as appropriate.
- Other activities and duties as needed that address the ongoing health and well-being of our staff and members.
- Follow and maintain sanitary habits in accordance with CDC guidelines.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- High School diploma or equivalent required. College credits preferred.
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience working with pre-teens and teens (10 years and older).
- General knowledge of MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Zoom/Google Classroom).
- Knowledge of Access, Adobe PageMaker and Photoshop preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be available to work Monday-Friday, and during public school breaks, from 3pm-6pm.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
How to Apply:
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please forward your cover letter and resume with subject line “Teen Advisor” to email@example.com or to:
Attn.: Chi Yung
New York, NY 10002
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities