SALARY: $16.00 - $22.00 P/H
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Flushing YMCA is seeking a Sports Instructor who will be responsible for working with children/teens to promote the enjoyment of sports activities while improving physical competence, developing confidence and teaching basic skill development, while also providing outstanding hospitality to ensure a positive user experience. The Sports Instructor will serve as a resource for participants to achieve exercise goals, skill goals and a sense of well-being.
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of children in the program, by providing close supervision of all activities.
- Provide supervision of the participants in line with YMCA program standards and guidelines (i.e. ratio, attendance).
- Teach rules, fundamentals and enhance basic skills. Emphasize teamwork and sportsmanship.
- Perform drills and demos pertaining to different sports.
- Create an atmosphere in which all participants can have fun, are safe and learn the importance of good principled athletics.
- Understand skills for ages 5 – 17, while utilizing differentiated instructions.
- Ensure that all equipment is age-appropriate, safe and in proper working condition. This includes conducting monthly equipment safety checks.
- Work with the Supervisor to develop and lead program promotion and recruitment efforts.
- Have a thorough knowledge of branch emergency procedures and take appropriate actions for emergency situations.
- Ensure the cleanliness of program space during all activities.
- Inform Supervisor on-duty regarding any incident reports that need to be filled out.
- Actively participate in all training sessions, designated meetings and special events.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Experience playing sports up to at least the High School Varsity level.
- Experience coaching sports and recreation and working with youth.
- Coaching certificate or equivalent strongly desired.
- Current First Aid / CPR certifications.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively with members of all ages.
- Must be available to work Fridays, 4pm-6pm and/or Saturdays, 12pm-5pm.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please forward your cover letter and resume with subject line “Sports Instructor” to firstname.lastname@example.org or to:Flushing YMCA
Attn: Christopher Kui
138-46 Northern Blvd.
Flushing, New York 11354
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities