SALARY: $15.00 - $17.00 P/H
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Flatbush YMCA is seeking a Sports Instructor who will be responsible for working with children/teens to promote the enjoyment of sports activities while improving physical competence, developing confidence and teaching basic skill development, while also providing outstanding hospitality to ensure a positive user experience. The Sports Instructor will serve as a resource for participants to achieve exercise goals, skill goals and a sense of well-being.
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of children in the program, by providing close supervision of all activities.
- Provide supervision of the participants in line with YMCA program standards and guidelines (i.e. ratio, attendance).
- Teach rules, fundamentals and enhance basic skills. Emphasize teamwork and sportsmanship.
- Create an atmosphere in which all participants can have fun, are safe and learn the importance of good principled athletics.
- Communicate with parents/guardians regarding the progress of their child/teen and registration for the next session.
- Communicate to parents/guardians about additional YMCA opportunities that can benefit them or their child/teen.
- Ensure that all equipment is age-appropriate, safe and in proper working condition. This includes conducting monthly equipment safety checks.
- Work with the Supervisor to develop and lead program promotion and recruitment efforts.
- Have a thorough knowledge of branch emergency procedures and take appropriate actions for emergency situations.
- Ensure the cleanliness of program space during all activities.
- Inform Supervisor on-duty regarding any incident reports that need to be filled out.
- Actively participate in all training sessions, designated meetings and special events.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum one year experience teaching children/teens sports in a structured setting.
- Coaching certificate or equivalent strongly desired.
- Current First Aid / CPR certifications.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively with members of all ages.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
How to Apply:
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please forward your cover letter and resume with subject line “Sports Instructor” to email@example.com or to:Flatbush YMCA
Attn: Brandon Dingle
1401 Flatbush Ave
Brooklyn, New York 11234
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities