Senior Director - Sports, Dance & Arts
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
We are seeking a Senior Director, Sports, Dance & Arts who will provide leadership and oversight to Association sports, dance and arts programs and services while also being a resource to the branches in these areas. The Senior Director will support the development and implementation of sports, dance, and arts innovation programming while defining priority programs along with guidance on financial net margins for the Association. This individual will also be expected to carry out the organization’s mission, vision and values in building relationships with staff, volunteers and members.
- Mentor branch staff to implement quality, standards-based sports, dance, and arts programs focusing on age and progression developmentally appropriate best practices.
- Develop materials and training designs, in collaboration with the Association’s training department, to support professional development sessions focused on quality youth and teen sports, dance, and arts progression programming.
- Provide leadership and negotiate operational issues among branches through the implementation and expansion of the standardized sports programming to all branches throughout the Association.
- Develop and support other new initiatives in support of organizational strategic direction in alignment with the association mission and values.
- Understand trends and data in order to optimize programming to provide accessible programs that deliver a great member experience and improve program participation retention.
- Develop Best Practices for Program and Class Quality.
- Work collaboratively with Health & Fitness and Youth Development staff to support the oversight and implementation of physical activity programs and standards for branch-based programming
- Work closely with the Communications Department to develop and implement social media strategies, website content and materials that promote sports, dance, and arts programming, within branches and in online communities.
- Develop materials that depict the new initiatives accurately and in a manner that emphasizes key components.
- Identify opportunities and actively pursue relationships throughout NYC including community-based organizations, the NYC Department of Education, the NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene and other youth-focused health and physical activity providers.
- Work collaboratively with Fund Development in support of program data and information to increase financial support for strategic initiatives.
- Represent the Association to a broad array of internal and external audiences to educate and inform them about the YMCA’s commitment and involvement with increasing youth physical activity levels.
- Adhere to all Department of Health, YMCA of Greater New York, and funder standards, expectations, and regulations.
- Actively participate in all training sessions and designated meetings.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in related field and commensurate experience.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in youth sports, fitness and physical activity, or physical education related field.
- Hands-on experience in professional development facilitation and training design.
- Hands-on experience with implementing large scale youth sports and fitness programming.
- Ability to establish and maintain strong business relationships/partnerships both internally and externally is essential.
- Strong creative and conceptual vision. Ability to provide innovative approaches and solutions while managing internal and external resources.
- General management skills of planning, organizing and controlling coupled with the ability to facilitate cultivate and motivate individuals and groups towards a common purpose.
- Knowledge of youth sports, fitness and physical activity standards and best practices
- Knowledge of local and national health policies, specifically related to childhood obesity.
- Knowledge of social media platforms and functionality; strategic plan implementation and project management.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with an organizational culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
How to Apply:
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please complete our online application and submit your résumé and a thoughtful cover letter that explains your interest in the role and our organization.