Senior Director, Early Childhood / Education Director
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The West Side YMCA is seeking a Senior Director of Early Childhood/Education Director who, under the supervision of the Executive Director, will be responsible for implementing a safe and quality program, including but not limited to, staff supervision, training, budgeting, and curriculum development. The Senior Director of Early Childhood/Education Director will also be responsible for funder, and regulatory compliance for year round Early Childhood Learning Centers, registration with the Independent School Admissions Association of Greater New York (ISAAGNY), and providing support to staff who supervise Child Watch, Early Childhood kinder camp, Au Pair, Family programming and Early Childhood enrichment programming.
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of participants, by understanding, maintaining, and ensuring that staff and participants follow Risk Management and safety procedures.
- Successfully maintain and continue to improve the quality of all Early Childhood/Education programs, by planning and creating new and innovate Early Learner, youth, family, and community programs that meet the needs of the community and adhere to the Branch priority objectives and strategic plan.
- Ensure that all contractual and regulatory obligations of the ISAAGNY, Department of Health and YMCA of Greater New York are met, while fulfilling the program mandates of the YMCA Association Office (AO) and funders.
- Supervise staff, volunteers, and interns, by monitoring their performance, providing support, training, and applicable feedback.
- Develop, manage, and successfully meet budget objectives, which includes preparing and reviewing financial aid requests and overseeing tuition payments.
- Act as the Branch’s liaison with other community organizations and coalitions within the borough, and partner appropriately to provide services, programs, and referrals to YMCA participants and families.
- Represent the Branch in Early Childhood Cabinet meetings, and become an active member of all branch leadership meetings / committees at the branch level.
- Work closely with the Tender Care and Co-op Nursery Parents Associations and participate in the recruitment of volunteers
- Supervise and work closely with vendors that support and assist in placement of students during the exmission process, and ensure all mental health consultants are supporting student needs.
- Leverage program surveys to improve programs and maintain consistent quality.
- Become a certified trainer in two youth areas and lead training events.
- Lead and support various parent committee and parent association meetings.
- Work with Branch and AO leadership to design, develop, and implement a marketing and communication plan to promote programs to local community groups.
- Maintain accurate and timely program documentation (attendance sheets, sign in/out forms, behavior / incident / accident reports, etc.).
- Report all incidents in accordance with the Y policies and procedures.
- Promote an inclusive, welcoming, and respectful environment that embraces the diversity of all staff and participants.
- Actively participate in training sessions, designated meetings and special events.
- MA or MS degree in Early Childhood Education and State certification.
- New York Teaching Certification (N-6) or birth to 2.
- Three to five years of experience supervising nursery school programs, or experience as an Early Childhood Director or School Director.
- Three to four years of teaching experience with children, ages 2 to 6, with one of the three years teaching children under 24 months, or 6 infant / toddler college credits.
- Experience with, and an understanding of ISAAGNY.
- Knowledge of School Admission and Exmission process.
- Experience developing / managing budgets, and hiring, training, supervising, and assessing staff.
- Demonstrated commitment to Early Childhood education and enrichment.
- Strong interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to identify / document pertinent information for program functioning and evaluation.
- Creative, strategic, and analytical skills with the ability to manage multiple projects.
- Demonstrated success in past employment.
- Must be a self-starter, highly organized, patient and able to work well with others.
- Knowledge of principles and practices related to Early Childhood education and socioemotional growth.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, including Excel and working knowledge of Microsoft Suite.
- Knowledge of Windows based computer applications and database management.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with an organizational culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please forward your cover letter and resume with subject line “Senior Director, Early Childhood / Education Director” to email@example.com or to:
West Side YMCA
Attn: Racquel Arjun
5 West 63rd Street
New York, NY 10023
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities