SALARY: $25.00 P/H
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Prospect Park YMCA is seeking a Science/S.T.E.A.M Instructor who will develop and lead engaging classes for young children focused on Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Math (S.T.E.A.M.). The incumbent will introduce opportunities for children to explore creativity, and teach children about scientific theories and principles and facilitate science classes that are educational, dynamic and safe for children (ages 3-10 years old).
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of children in the program, by providing close supervision of all activities.
- Must be able to teach children in an engaging, safe, and responsive manner.
- Plan and implement meaningful activities that are age-appropriate, exciting, challenging, and values based in the areas of Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math (S.T.E.A.M.).
- Teach children about scientific principles and theories.
- Plan and teach engaging, lively and educational classes.
- Set up room and return equipment used for the class.
- Plan with the Director to order and maintain all equipment or supplies needed for class.
- Develop, with the Director, a curriculum of age appropriate activities with the S.T.E.A.M. focus.
- Lead all children through a creative and imaginative process, team building skills and confidence.
- Meet and relate with participants and parents in a friendly, helpful way.
- Provide supervisor with lesson plans on a monthly schedule.
- Maintain accurate program documentation (incident reports, attendance, etc.).
- Teach class to full capacity (at least 8 participants) and support enrollment and class participation through outreach/recruitment.
- Work with Co-workers and Director to provide the best support for their weekly themes and events.
- Conform the YMCA’s standards, guidelines and mission.
- Actively participate in all training sessions, designated meetings and special events.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in specialty or related field working with youth.
- Minimum of two years working with youth/children.
- Experience working in youth development contexts with science related activities.
- Knowledge of early childhood/youth practices.
- Content expert in designated talent and specialty.
- Creativity, accountability, and flexibility is a must.
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- Current First Aid / CPR certifications.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please forward your cover letter and resume with subject line “Science Instructor” to firstname.lastname@example.org or to:Prospect Park YMCA
Attn: Denise Francis
357 Ninth Street
Brooklyn, NY 11215
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities