Outreach Coordinator - Beacon 194
SALARY: $18.00 - $20.00 P/H
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Flushing YMCA is seeking a qualified individual who, under the supervision of the Beacon Director, will play a critical role in the successful operation of the program at Beacon 194. The Beacon Outreach Coordinator is responsible for providing leadership, oversight and support, to outreach and community inclusion efforts.
- Promote an inclusive, welcoming, and respectful environment that embraces the diversity of all staff and participants and promotes a positive program spirit.
- Facilitate effective outreach to hard-to-reach youth and young adults who do not participate in afterschool or community center programs.
- Effectively forge relationships with youth who are chronically absent or have dropped out of school and encourage them to engage in both Beacon programming and school.
- Act as “credible messenger,” maintain strong community connections and address conflicts.
- Assist in the marketing and distribution of program information and recruitment in communities that might not otherwise attend Beacon programming.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with community stakeholders, parents and guardians through regular communication.
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of participants by understanding, maintaining, and ensuring staff and participants follow Risk Management and safety procedures.
- Report all incidents in accordance with the Y policies and procedures.
- Work with Counselors and the Beacon Director to plan and implement meaningful programming and special events.
- Support the development and facilitation of required pre-program trainings.
- Actively participate in training sessions, designated meetings, and special events.
- Adhere to all Department of Health (DOH), Department of Education (DOE), Department of Youth & Community Development (DYCD), YMCA of Greater New York, and funder standards and regulations.
- Minimum two (2) years of education in a college program area related to working with youth and/or communities.
- Minimum of one (1) year of experience working with youth, family, and community development.
- General knowledge of Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please forward your cover letter and resume with subject line “Beacon Outreach Coordinator” to firstname.lastname@example.org or to:Flushing YMCA - Beacon 194
Attn: Michelle Caban
154-60 17th Avenue
Whitestone, NY 11356
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities