Member Experience Director
SALARY: $66,000.00 - $68,000.00 Annually
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Chinatown YMCA is seeking a Member Experience Director who will provide supervision and leadership to the Membership department. Responsibilities include achieving membership unit and revenue targets by personally following up with prospects, giving tours and selling memberships according to the Y’s systems. The incumbent will also be responsible for budget development and implementation, retention, member satisfaction, local branch marketing, external outreach, relationship building, creating systems for quality assurance, strategic planning and staff development. Member Experience Director, with the support of the Membership Coordinator, is responsible for an efficient internal and external membership operation.
- Monitor progress towards branch’s goals (units, revenue, collections, prospecting, conversions, and retention) by utilizing the Tableau dashboard to access data and reviewing all necessary reports.
- Set daily goals in order to achieve long range goals.
- Personally follow up with prospects (non-join tours, guest pass users, health fair participants, outreach prospects, etc.), give tours and process memberships and registrations in the Y’s AS400 system.
- Check in with staff and observe their interaction with members; provide coaching when needed.
- Hold membership staff accountable for handling membership inquiries, by telephone and in person.
- Walk through the facility to spot check for cleanliness, maintenance, scheduling and signage; talk with members to obtain their feedback.
- Attend senior staff meetings at the branch for Director level staff.
- Review expected credit card draft report – watch for projected shortfalls to revenue and respond accordingly.
- Follow up with cancelled members to gain perspective on why they left the Y and attempt to retain them as members.
- Run and review reports needed to monitor progress.
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of children in the program by providing close supervision of all activities in accordance with the YMCA Child Watch Standards.
- Review finance and tracking reports prepared by the Association Office’s Finance
- Department; watch for trends and plan accordingly.
- Run and review monthly gain/loss report.
- Post prospect tracking spreadsheet to shared drive.
- Post 3rd party payer utilization reports for payment and process payment when received.
- Calculate the conversion rates for prospects to sign-ups.
- Follow up according to systems established for New member Survey.
- Serve as the Branch liaison to the Association’s Membership Cabinet; attend and participate in all cabinet meetings.
- Develop and execute local marketing strategies, including digital mediums.
- Utilize research and respond to industry trends.
- Prepare for the membership campaigns (i.e. Increase staff schedule, communications, open houses, local outreach, etc.)
- In collaboration with Membership Staff, prepare for and facilitate membership staff meetings (agenda, minutes).
- Meet with Healthy Lifestyles and Aquatics Director/Coordinator to work cohesively to grow membership.
- Assist in fundraising efforts and annual sustaining campaigns with a focus on
- Members as Donors.
- In collaboration with the membership coordinator, prepare and conduct annual performance reviews for staff.
- In the Fall, work with branch Business Office Manager to prepare annual budget, including table files
- Continuing responsibilities
- Establish systems and monitor adherence to membership policies, procedures and standards.
- Recruit, hire, train, develop, evaluate and supervise membership staff (Coordinator,
- Specialists, Hospitality Agents).
- Attend and participate in various branch and/or Association events and meetings as appropriate.
- Attend trainings, seminars and conferences related to membership, including sales, prospecting, marketing and retention trainings.
- Respond to member and staff concerns (i.e. comment cards, walk-ins, calls, emails).
- Community outreach for the purpose of developing prospects including attending local health fairs and events.
- Meet quarterly with the Healthy Lifestyles, Aquatics, Youth & Family and
- Property Director to discuss the membership value proposition and evaluate needs and changes.
- Volunteer committee work.
- Uphold all Association policies and demonstrate core values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility .
- Other activities and duties as needed that address the ongoing health and well-being of our staff and members.
- Maintain sanitary habits in accordance with CDC guidelines.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration with a focus in sales and marketing, or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of three (3) to five (5) years of experience in member/customer service, supervisory/management position.
- Knowledge of sales, new member acquisition, prospecting, and conversions.
- Knowledge of digital marketing and analytics, MS Office, SEM/SEO and social media outreach.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Personal commitment to service and hospitality.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with an organizational culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
The YMCA of Greater New York offers a variety of benefits to its staff members including retirement benefits, medical, paid-time off, free YMCA membership and more! Benefit eligibility is determined by an individual’s employment status (ie. full-time or part-time), tenure and/or the number of hours scheduled to work. Click here for more information.
How to Apply:
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please complete our online application and submit your résumé and a thoughtful cover letter that explains your interest in the role and our organization.
If you are a current YMCA employee, please submit your application through the Internal Career Site in Cornerstone.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities