SALARY: $15.00 - $21.00 P/H
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Greenpoint YMCA is seeking an experienced Mechanic who will be responsible for the maintenance and repair of HVAC, plumbing, electrical, and carpentry systems at the Greenpoint YMCA, as well as its off-sites. The incumbent will perform building repair, maintenance and cosmetic upgrades as directed. The mechanic will also clean and maintain the inside and outside of the Greenpoint YMCA and its off-sites; including but not limited to the sidewalks, hallways, stairways, bathrooms, shower rooms, offices and all program areas.
- Perform repairs, as needed, in plumbing, electrical, carpentry and swimming pool equipment.
- Perform building construction work as directed by branch leadership.
- Receive and store deliveries, move furniture, set up and break down of rooms; snow removal, when needed.
- Cleans all bathrooms, classrooms, locker rooms, Fitness Center, Free Weight Room, offices, Gymnasium and in all other spaces within the branch.
- Strip and wax floors, and shampoos rugs as needed.
- Responsible for painting when assigned.
- Inform Property Manager of all building issues.
- Follow the standards of the Department of Health (DOH), Fire Department of New York (FDNY), Department of Buildings (DOB), Housing Preservation and Development (HPD, Environmental Control Board (ECB) and YMCA of Greater New York.
- Maintain FDNY, DOB and DOH log books.
- Must obtain S12, S13 and C42 pool certification within 1 year of employment.
- Must obtain Building Certification within three months of employment.
- Participate in training session, designated meetings and special events.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum of two years of maintenance and building construction work experience and progressive responsibility.
- Current Fire Safety Director Certification or attain certification within one year of employment.
- Must be able to maintain pool, including reading, repair and maintenance.
- Knowledge of the use of mechanical, test equipment.
- Knowledge of cleaning methods and equipment, along with basic understanding of the upkeep and care of equipment.
- Understanding of cleaning compounds and chemicals, and their safe, efficient use.
- Must be available to work afternoon, evenings and weekends.
- Available to be on call 24/7 when the Building Engineer or Property Manager is not on site.
- Excellent customer service skills.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please forward your cover letter and resume with subject line “Mechanic” to firstname.lastname@example.org or to:Greenpoint YMCA
Attn.: Kendall Charter
99 Meserole Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11222
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities