Martial Arts Instructor
Salary: $17.00 - $31.75 P/H
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Chinatown YMCA is seeking a Martial Arts Instructor who will be responsible for working with children / teens to promote the enjoyment of Martial Arts while improving physical competence, developing confidence and teaching basic skill development.
- Provide a fun, safe and positive experience for all participants.
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of children in the program, by providing close supervision of all activities.
- Work with the Supervisor to develop program objectives and goals for each program session.
- Create a written lesson plan for the program session that is age-appropriate and progressive.
- Modify lesson plans and instruction to meet the needs of the participants.
- Communicate with parents / guardians regarding the progress of their child / teen, and registration for the next session.
- Provide supervision of the participants in line with YMCA program standards and guidelines (i.e. ratio, attendance).
- Communicate to parents / guardians about additional YMCA opportunities that can benefit them or their child.
- Create an environment that is encouraging to all participant, regardless of skill level.
- Inform supervisor on-duty regarding any incident reports that need to be filled out.
- Have a thorough knowledge of branch emergency procedures and take appropriate actions for emergency situations.
- Maintain accurate program documentation (attendance, sign in/out forms, behavior reports, incident reports, and accident reports, as appropriate).
- Ensure the cleanliness of program space during all activities.
- Work with the Supervisor to develop and lead program promotion and recruitment efforts.
- Attend YMCA Coaching within 90 days of employment.
- Receive CDC Heads Up Concussion in Youth Sports certification within 30 days of employment.
- Attend YMCA Coaching 101 Training within 90 days of employment
- Actively participate in all training sessions, designated meetings and special events.
- Other activities and duties that address the ongoing health and well-being of our staff and members.
- Follow and maintain sanitary habits in accordance with CDC guidelines.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum of one (1) year of experience teaching children / teens martial arts, in a structured setting.
- Current martial arts instruction certification by a recognized body beyond belt rank and ability.
- Content expert in designated martial arts.
- Knowledge of youth development stages.
- Current First Aid / CPR certifications.
- Ability to communicate effectively with members of all ages.
- Must be available to flexible hours including afternoons, evenings and/or weekends.
- Must be available to work on Wednesdays only 4pm-6pm.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
How to Apply:
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please complete our online application and submit your résumé and a thoughtful cover letter that explains your interest in the role and our organization.
If you are a current YMCA employee, please submit your application through the Internal Career Site in Cornerstone.
** New Requirement**
All potential YMCA of Greater New York employees are required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination. Please use the “Additional Attachment” section on the online application to upload your proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities