Maintenance Worker / Porter I
SALARY: $15.95 P/H
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Prospect Park YMCA is seeking a Maintenance Worker / Porter who will be responsible for cleaning and sanitizing assigned areas, including mopping, dusting, and trash removal. The Maintenance Worker / Porter may also be required to complete duties related to window washing, room set-ups and break downs, pool cleaning, snow removal, grounds keeping and other related responsibilities.
- Ensure the Prospect Park YMCA is attractive and clean by completing all dutie Is listed on the daily schedule, including upkeep of assigned area and equipment.
- Operate related motorized and non-motorized equipment.
- Record and report all needed repairs; repair as directed.
- Ensure the Prospect Park YMCA building and property is secure during shift and report incidents and hazardous conditions to supervisor.
- Replace soap, paper towels and other supplies.
- Set up furniture and/or rooms for events.
- Plan and execute routine set-ups, break-downs and installations for facility’s programming needs.
- Strip and wax floors. Also shampoo rugs as needed.
- Follow standards of DOH, DOB, FDNY, HPD and ECB Departments.
- Follow YMCA Housekeeping Policies and Procedures.
- Other activities and duties as needed that address the ongoing health and well-being of our staff and members.
- Follow and maintain sanitary habits in accordance with CDC guidelines.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum of six months of related experience.
- Knowledge of cleaning methods and equipment, along with basic understanding of the upkeep and care of equipment.
- Understanding of light electrical, plumbing, painting and carpentry; cleaning compounds and chemicals, and their safe and efficient use.
- Must obtain YMCA Housekeeping certificate, within one year of employment.
- Excellent hospitality skills.
- Available to work evenings and weekends.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
How to Apply:
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please forward your cover letter and resume with subject line “Maintenance Worker / Porter” to email@example.com or to:
Prospect Park YMCA
Attn: Shakila Monk
357 Ninth Street
Brooklyn NY 11215
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities