Maintenance Worker / Porter I
SALARY: $15.45 - $18.00 P/H
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Bedford Stuyvesant YMCA is seeking an individual who, under the supervision of the Building & Grounds Superintendent, will be responsible for cleaning and sanitizing assigned areas, including mopping, dusting, and trash removal. The Maintenance Worker / Porter may also be required to complete duties related to window washing, room set-ups and break downs, pool cleaning, snow removal, grounds keeping and other related responsibilities.
- Ensure the facility is attractive and clean, by completing all duties listed on the daily schedule and maintaining upkeep of assigned areas and equipment.
- Operate motorized and non-motorized equipment.
- Record and report all needed repairs; repair as directed.
- Ensure the building and property is secure, and report incidents and hazardous conditions to supervisor, when necessary.
- Replace soap, paper towels and other supplies.
- Plan and execute routine set-ups, break-downs and installations for facility’s programming needs.
- Strip and wax floor and shampoo rugs as needed.
- Follow standards of Department of Health, Department of Buildings, Fire Department of New York, Housing Preservation Development and Environmental Control Board Departments.
- Follow YMCA of Greater New York housekeeping policies and procedures.
- Actively participate in training sessions, designated meetings and special events.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum of six months of experience.
- Knowledge of cleaning methods and equipment, along with basic understanding of the upkeep and care of equipment.
- Understanding of light electrical, plumbing, painting and carpentry; cleaning compounds and chemicals, and their safe and efficient use.
- Must obtain YMCA Housekeeping certificate, within one year of employment.
- Excellent hospitality skills.
- Must be available to work weekends.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
How to Apply:
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please forward your cover letter and resume with subject line “Maintenance Worker / Porter” to email@example.com or to:Bedford Stuyvesant YMCA
Attn: Frank Viscuso
1121 Bedford Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11216
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities