Learning Center Senior Counselor - Staten Island YMCAs
SALARY: $15.30 P/H
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
We are seeking qualified individuals who will play a critical role in the successful operation of in-person services at our YMCA School Day Learning Centers located throughout the Bronx. The Learning Center Senior Counselor will be responsible for providing a safe and positive onsite environment for school-age children, while providing opportunities for learning, interaction, and academic/personal growth.
The YMCA School Day Learning Centers operate from 8:00am to 3:00pm, Monday-Friday, beginning in mid-September of 2020 and ending in mid-June of 2021.
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of participants in the program by providing appropriate supervision at all times.
- Plan and implement meaningful activities, lesson plans, and special events that build level of skill and confidence, are age-appropriate, exciting, challenging, and values based in the areas of arts, STEM, SEL, creative expression, community service, leadership, civic engagement, physical fitness, and/or nutrition.
- Assume responsibility for the cleanliness and organization of the room, program supplies, and activity space.
- Assist children with homework and academic enhancement activities, if applicable.
- Perform specific scheduled assignments, including but not limited to: arrival and/or departure, lunch and snack duty, family and culminating events, registration and administrative duties.
- Support the planning and implementation of all Learning Center activities, including but not limited to: creating a supportive learning environment where participants can complete their remote schoolwork.
- Work cooperatively with branch staff during the program planning and implementation process.
- Promote an inclusive, welcoming, and respectful environment that embraces the diversity of all participants.
- Create and maintain a strength-based, youth-focused atmosphere that is consistent and sensitive to the needs of participants with learning, emotional, or behavioral differences.
- Maintain accurate program documentation (attendance, sign in/out forms, behavior reports, incident reports, and accident reports, as appropriate).
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with parents and guardians through regular communication about their child’s strengths and areas of growth.
- Understand and communicate the YMCA’s core values and the goals of the Learning Center program to participants and caregivers.
- Attend all required trainings. designated meetings, and special events.
- Adhere to all Department of Health, Department of Education, YMCA of Greater New York, and funder standards, expectations, and regulations.
- Other activities and duties as needed that address the ongoing health and well-being of our staff and members.
- Follow and maintain sanitary habits in accordance with CDC guidelines.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- High School diploma or equivalent required. College credits preferred.
- One year of experience working with youth under the age of 13.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- General knowledge of MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of Google Classroom/Zoom preferred.
- Must have availability to work Monday - Friday from 8:00 am to 3:00 pm.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
How to Apply:
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please forward your cover letter and resume with subject line “Learning Center Senior Counselor - Staten Island” to firstname.lastname@example.org or to:YMCA of Greater New York
Attn.: Hiring Manager
5 West 63rd Street
New York, NY 10023
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities