Intern - Social Media
SALARY: $15.00 P/H
PART-TIME / TEMPORARY
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
We are seeking a Social Media Intern who will support the Marketing & Communications department and perform tasks that will provide exposure to the mission, vision, and values of the organization and raise awareness about the Y’s community impact. The Intern will develop social media content, support the Y’s media relations efforts, and support the communications initiatives of the Association and branches.
The Intern will primarily work remotely with safe, in-person collaboration as needed. The Intern is also welcome to come into our Association Office located at 5 West 63rd Street, New York, NY. On occasion, this position will be required to work at events or at specific branches for the day. Events can fall on evenings, weekends, and/or holidays.
You are a motivated person with some college education and familiarity with the capabilities of social media platforms, including Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. You are able to use a PC and copy machine with minimal instruction and knowledge of Microsoft Office programs, including Word and Excel. You are aligned with the Y’s mission and four core values: honesty, caring, respect, and responsibility.
As an Intern you will:
- Develop original, thoughtful social media content for the Y Association and sample content to be used by Y branches.
- Travel to branches and events, as needed, to capture photos and post live through the Y’s social media channels.
- Identify media contacts and draft media materials, including media advisories and press releases.
- Monitor social and traditional media for coverage of the Y, and determine if/when the Association should respond.
- Work cooperatively with all staff, including attendance in staff meetings to gain a better understanding of the Y’s marketing and communications strategy.
- Promote an inclusive, welcoming, and respectful environment that embraces the diversity of all staff and participants.
- Understand the YMCA’s core values and reflect them through writing.
- Attend any relevant and available trainings/webinars made available by the branch, Association or Y-USA.
- Adhere to all Department of Health, YMCA of Greater New York, and funder standards, expectations and regulations.
- Other activities and duties as needed that address the ongoing health and well-being of our staff and members.
- Follow and maintain sanitary habits in accordance with CDC guidelines.
The internship will begin November 1, 2021 and end January 28, 2022. The exact dates and work schedule are flexible, provided you can work approximately 20 - 25 hours each week and assignments are turned in before the deadline.
This internship will enable you to earn ($15/hour) while you learn, getting a first-hand look at the advocacy work of a major nonprofit organization. You’ll build your resume while working as part of a lively team.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
How to Apply:
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please complete our online application and submit your résumé and a thoughtful cover letter that explains your interest in the role and our organization.
If you are a current YMCA employee, please submit your application through the Internal Career Site in Cornerstone.
** New Requirement**
All potential YMCA of Greater New York employees are required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination. Please use the “Additional Attachment” section on the online application to upload your proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities