SALARY: $27.00 P/H
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Cross Island YMCA is seeking an Inclusion Specialist. Under the supervision of the COMPASS Director, the Inclusion Specialist will be responsible for supporting children with IEP’s and children needing additional behavior modification support. The Specialist will also support program and school staff in modifying and adapting their lessons to achieve IEP and inclusion goals. In addition, the Specialty Instructor will help the staff create an inclusive classroom for the students where all students feel welcome and are able to learn in their own learning style.
- Meet and relate with students, teachers and parents in a friendly helpful way.
- Gives individual attention to class participants and shows modifications.
- The Specialty Instructor is the key position responsible for ensuring the successful delivery and implementation of inclusion-based programming for all contract target populations during the after-school hours.
- Promote an inclusive, welcoming and respectful environment that emphasizes teamwork and cooperation.
- Create and maintain a strength-based approach for learning.
- The Specialty Instructor will be responsible for reviewing students’ Individualized Education Program (I.E.P) in order to help staff, modify their lessons so they can provide any support needed to help children achieve their goals in an inclusive classroom setting. In addition, the Specialty Instructor will play a key role in supporting the behavior plans and system for all staff including language and classroom management.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with parents and guardians through regular communication about programming dates, upcoming special events and their own child’s strengths and areas for growth.
- Maintain high enrollment and help in outreach.
- Complete administrative duties as needed including, target population tracking, data entry, filing, observations and reporting and attend monthly supervisions, staff meetings and trainings and relevant school meetings as needed.
- Serve as positive role model for participants.
- Meet YMCA’s standards and guidelines.
- Provide supervisor with lesson plans as requested.
- Attend all required workshops, trainings and YMCA required meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Follow and maintain sanitary habits in accordance with CDC guidelines.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Degree in related field, early childhood, special education, social work, etc.
- At least 18 years of age, experience working with children with special needs.
- CPR & First Aid Certification; Child Abuse Training.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with an organizational culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
The YMCA of Greater New York offers a variety of benefits to its staff members including retirement benefits, medical, paid-time off, free YMCA membership and more! Benefit eligibility is determined by an individual’s employment status (ie. full-time or part-time), tenure and/or the number of hours scheduled to work. Click here for more information.
How to apply?
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please complete our online application and submit your résumé and a thoughtful cover letter that explains your interest in the role and our organization.
If you are a current YMCA employee, please submit your application through the Internal Career Site in Cornerstone.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities