Group Leader – Global Teen Programs
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The YMCA of Greater New York is seeking Group Leaders who have demonstrated interest in youth development and experiential learning, to be responsible for mentoring and supporting 15-25 teen participants of the Global Teens program. The Group Leader will support our participants for the duration of the program and will be responsible for effectively managing the group dynamic and ensuring safety throughout the program, beginning with the pre-departure programming in NYC, until the group’s return to the United States.
Global Teens is a service-learning program which fosters civic engagement at the local and global level through experiential service learning trips within the United States and abroad.
The Program runs from mid-January to early May. Program key dates are printed below:
Mid-January to May, 2019
- Work 2.5 hours per week in the evening, leading group discussions, one-on-one check-ins, and other activities.
- Attend weekend pre-travel retreat at our Y Camps location upstate.
April 9th to April 18
- Travel with group of young people and provide supervision during the NYC Department of Education Spring Break.
- Responsible for maintaining standards of health, safety, and program quality consistent with program goals, and offering consistent guidance and discipline as necessary.
- Ensure emotional well-being of program participants/problems minimized.
- Manage the reentry session with participants at the end of the program.
- Report problems and adjustments immediately to Global Teens Program Director.
- Create opportunities for cultural sharing and exchange and facilitate cross-cultural communication. Manage a modest travel budget and reconcile balance at the end of trip.
- Return all documents and equipment to Program Director in a timely manner.
- Manage the program evaluation session at the end of the April to help participants evaluate their learning.
- Adhere to all Department of Health, YMCA of Greater New York, and funder standards, expectations, and regulations.
- Actively participate in all training sessions and designated meetings.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of two to three years of experience working with youth.
- Proven ability to adapt to cultures / settings different from one’s own.
- Ability to mentor others and facilitate creative and self-motivated learning.
- Demonstrated practical, working knowledge of group management, discussion leading, creative/critical thinking, and problem solving.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and effectively with others, including the media and community-at-large, serving as a representative of the YMCA of Greater New York.
- Ability to establish priorities, respond to unanticipated needs, and work under pressure.
- Receptive to and knowledgeable of delegates’ cultural, spiritual, and personal needs.
- Flexibility, ability to take initiative, and a sense of humor.
- Ability and aptitude to properly administer the group’s budget / travel funds, as established by Global Teens.
- Current First Aid and CPR certificates.
- Strong interpersonal skills and leadership qualities.
- Ability to walk and stand up for up to approximately 8 hours per day, often times outdoors in sun and heat, on uneven surfaces and/or in inclement weather.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with an organizational culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promote participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please forward your cover letter and resume with subject line “Group Leader – Global Teen Programs” to firstname.lastname@example.org or to:YMCA of Greater New York
Attn: Nicole Kourbage
5 West 63rd Street, 6th Floor
New York, NY 10023
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities