Group Exercise Instructor
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Coney Island YMCA is seeking a Group Exercise Instructor to design and deliver safe, fun, dynamic and effective group exercise classes, while also providing outstanding hospitality to ensure a positive user experience.
- Provide outstanding hospitality to all members and guests. Outstanding hospitality is acting as a proactive agent - initiating a professional relationship with the members in regards to their needs, concerns, and questions and acting as an agent to accommodate the member’s needs/concerns.
- Arrive prior to class start time to allow time to greet all participants and help acclimate new participants.
- Responsible for participant safety – inspect floor, equipment, and supplies; notify supervisor of equipment in need of repair and /or need for more/updated equipment.
- Provide members with opportunities that will increase their involvement, sense of belonging, and ownership of the YMCA.
- Modify classes and routines according to participants’ fitness levels/abilities, as needed.
- Maintain awareness of current fitness programs and trends; educate members on current health and fitness issues and trends.
- Maintain attendance records.
- Maintain required certifications.
- Have a thorough knowledge of branch emergency procedures and take appropriate action for emergency situations.
- Support community and promotional special events as needed.
- Plan and provide appropriate and motivating music for classes.
- Actively participate in training sessions and designated meetings.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Experience in related field preferred and leading fitness classes.
- Current CPR/AED certifications.
- Current National Group Exercise certifications (ACE, ACSM, AFAA, or YMCA).
- Ability to relate to and work with people of diverse backgrounds.
- Excellent hospitality skills.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with an organizational culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please send your cover letter, resume and salary requirements with subject line “Group Exercise Instructor” to email@example.com or to:Coney Island YMCA
Attn.: Areial Mathis
2980 West 29th Street
Brooklyn, NY 11224
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities