Food Distribution Specialist
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Flatbush YMCA is seeking a Food Distribution Specialist who will play a critical role in supporting the overall operations of our YMCA Community Market/food distributions, including receival of shipment, organizing and sorting, and distribution. The Food Distribution Specialist will be responsible for providing a safe and clean environment for our community members and provide support with managing the day to day operations of the YMCA Community Shops.
- Ensure the health, safety and wellbeing of other staff and community members at the YMCA shop.
- Ensure proper and accurate receival of shipments.
- Load and unload shipment and ensure all supplies are properly stored.
- Support the Executive Director with the day to day operations of the YMCA Community Market.
- Provide support with the distribution of food and supplies to community members.
- Support community members with any questions on distribution days.
- Maintain accurate program documentation (invoices, delivery receipts, sign-in sheets, etc.).
- Ensure that supplies and equipment are available and kept safe.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with community members.
- Serve as a positive role model for community members.
- Understand and communicate the YMCA’s core values and the goals of the YMCA Community Shops to community members.
- Promote an inclusive, welcoming, and respectful environment that embraces the diversity of all participants.
- Adhere to all Food Bank for New York City, YMCA of Greater New York, and funder standards, expectations, and regulations.
- Actively participate in training sessions, designated meetings, and special events.
- Other activities and duties that address the ongoing health and well-being of our staff and members.
- Follow and maintain sanitary habits in accordance with CDC guidelines.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- High School diploma or equivalent, desired.
- Minimum of 6 months of customer service/hospitality experience, Food distribution or other related distributions preferred.
- Bilingual preferred.
- Must be willing to work weekends, morning, and evening hours.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
How to Apply:
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please complete our online application and submit your résumé and a thoughtful cover letter that explains your interest in the role and our organization.
If you are a current YMCA employee, please submit your application through the Internal Career Center in Cornerstone.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities